Flame inlay

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cgland, Sep 19, 2007.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a small driveway we did with a little flame inlay. I think it turned out pretty good.

Chris

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely a Harley behind those doors :cool2:

3. Captains Landscape

What did you use to cut?

4. cgland

Actually there is a '29 Roadster behind the doors. Once the mulching is done we will be back to take some pics w/ the car sticking out a bit.
    We used a combination of table saw for taking the big chunks out and a 4" angle grinder w/ a diamond wheel and cup grinder.

Chris

5. Captains Landscape

nice job, not tacky at all, I cant imagine doing that on a larger scale

6. cgland

It took 2 guys 6 hours to do the inlay.

Chris

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm nice work... it blends REAL nice. I like the effort put into getting the details right.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Sorry, Chris. I don't particularly care for it. I don't think it stands out enough. Maybe it's because of all the pattern change.

Now, that said, I think the detail work is superb. The guys (you?) did a very, very, very nice job on the cuts.

I also worry a little that someone will run into that small wall adjacent to the d-way.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Cuts are perfecto.

10. cgland

That's the beauty of it Mark. We didn't really want it to stand out. We wanted it to be a bit more subdued. Had I wanted it to be bolder, I would have made the entire bottom flames and eliminated the tire strips. We will be sealing this job next year, so it will pop a bit more after that. It really looks great when it's wet.
    As far as the wall, I agree! The homeowner insisted we install a wall to create a courtyard effect. What you don't see in the pic is a walkway to the left that the wall flanks as well. The lucky thing is that his car is very narrow, so he would have to be real drunk to hit the wall.

Chris