1. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys use a light bar or a pole?<p>I custom build a Code 3 as follows:<br>Standard 2-rotator with clear dome.<br>Put Yellow cover over individual rotators.<br>Remove center mirror and insert 2 alley lights facing back-wards.<br>This package produces bright back-up lighting and a potent flasher in a small self-contained unit for about $150.00 total.

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

All my pickup's use a stobe light on the center of the roof. The stobe is 6&quot; wide and 5 3/4&quot; tall, and has a 15 joul output. The dump trucks have the same lights, only one mounted on each side of the body.<p>Enough light to warn people, not enough light to keep the world awake.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have a double roator on my 84 K-20. Used it last night and it is very visible, even more so then my strobes, however it draws about alot more amps then the strobes.<br>I have a 3 head system on my 98 chevy. Two oval strobes in the rear and one single on top. I like the single on top because it doesnt shine in my mirrors, causing eplietic seizures. Just kidding, all strobe makers make sure that doesnt happen. The stobe power supply is a 4 head x 60 watt unit with high and low settings.And all heads are about 15 joules on high and 10 on low.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We've got 3 cheap rotating lights (one for each truck). Magnetic & removable. Can't fit the trucks into underground parking with lights on the roofs. Technically it's illegal to use blue lights in Ontario but everybody does anyway. Don't like backin' in and out of lot entrances if I don't have a light going.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

5. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

why are you useing blue lights? I thought blue was for cops, and red for fire trucks. Why not just use yellow or orange?<p>Geoff

6. snow

snow Guest

My friends all use strobes, mainly because they don't have moving parts. In the rotators, they have the small motors which if they get fry, your light doesn't work. I have seen some contractors with the small teardrop lights. But, most have strobes, and have them installed permanently.<p>Bryan<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com <br>

7. ADM Services

ADM Services LawnSite Member

Does anyone else think the rotators are noisy. I have a few of them and I can't stand the noise they make. Most of our pickups have mag mounted strobes. Those are great. Althought those too make some noice, but not nearly as much as the rotator type.<br>Last week when we were plowing we saw a guy that had his truck all tricked out. He had strobes in his tail lights, mirrors, everything. Looked cool, but not pratical.<p>Andy :)

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't hear my rotators, unless my truck is idling and the radio is off. I use rotators because the visiblity is better in daylight than a strobe. (that's when you need the visibility anyway)<p>I've run both and my Code 3 rotators have been every bit as reliable as the strobes we used. We've only replaced 1 or 2 bulbs in the 11 units we've got over 6 years or so we've been using them. Plus, there's 2 rotators, so if one bulb goes out, you've still got some flash.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok snow, just how does a rotator get wet? Think about it and get back to me. That is the last thing you need to worry about.<br>Yes they can be noisy, we refer to them as the meat grinders.<br>As far better visibility I will debate that with you, I feel my strobes on high intensity wil be as bright as any rotator. Although my rotator is very effective,even in the daylight.<br>And I think that hideaways are pretty practical, if you want to spend the extra money for them.I like the single mag mounted strobes as well. But you have to be willing to spend the $$ to get the good ones, we have a whelen that ran about 100 $ and it is bright. My double rotator new would be in the 150 range new , and my 3 head DOT system on my truck ran about 350$ when I bought it.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Check out the Nova 360 Strobe Lights, ya can get them from a-w direct. They have 80 quad FPM with 15 joul output. They cost 79.95 for permanent mount and 99 for magnetic mount. These are what i use and they work great.<p>Geoff