FLAT BED DUMP vs. CONTRACTOR DUMP

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Axl, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Hey guys I am in the market for a dump truck, I see alot of guys who have flat bed dump trucks.

I was just wondering if there are pros or cons to having the flat bed style vs. a normal contractor style dump body.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A dumping flat is more versitile you can do everything with it. Myself I think a flatdeck is a better option you can put any size side on it. When you want to haul palletized stuff or odd shaped loads you can.

3. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

What sized dump truck are we talking about? I would think if your talking about a mid sized truck, wouldn't the removable sides be kind of heavy? I mean to lift manually.

Josh

4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Im talking about a F450-550 medium duty

5. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

What's wrong w/ you GR? You and I are agreeing on stuff, weird huh. Unless you haul dirt, sand and gravel day in day out, I believe the flatbed is a better choice. One day you can haul gravel, the next implements, put a leaf box on, etc. The flatbed is more versatile a jack of all trades if you will. In addition most landscape materials are bulky rather than heavy meaning you run out of space before you run out of weight capacity. My State Farm agent told me the flat was cheaper to insure, they're all a b!tch but thats another thread. My vote is for flatbed, but I may be partial seeing thats all Ive owned.

6. Gravel Rat

Myself I don't haul just gravel and a flatdeck suits my needs better. I was going to get a contractors dump with fold down sides and decided not too.

I started building a flatdeck then sold it I think I will probably build another flatdeck or get my brother to build one in his welding shop.

7. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Fold down sided mason dump would be my second choice. I cant tell you how much easier having a forklift side load is. For this industry I agree flatdeck is where it's at. Many others seem to agree w/ me by the number I see around here.

8. Gravel Rat

Flatdecks are cheaper too. For a 11 foot contractor dump with fold down sides complete install is 8-9 grand.

9. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insight guys, keep em coming!

How do you haul dirt, sand, etc. with a flat bed???

10. Gravel Rat

I have 2x10 side boards and a 2x8 tail board it works good the sides are high enough for the capacity the truck can handle. If you have a 12x8 or 11x8 flatdeck you can overload the truck real easy with gravel. With the 2x10 (9.5 inches) I can get 3 yards heaped on the truck and that is heavy enough. For the lighter materials I had some taller sides but 90% of the time I run 2x10 side boards. I have been doing it that way for the last 15 years it works.

When your hauling gravel you have to get out and pull the tail board out which is no big deal.