flat bed hoist/dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 13, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This summer I want to put a hoist on my flatbed so I can get more use from it. Really looking forward to using that this fall with the leaf cleanups!!! But also, this summer I thought about doing some hauling for other people so a dump would be really nice too. The budget isn’t ready for it right now and I don’t have the time to install it since I’m working and still in school but when school’s out and I get more cash I’m ready for one. What are my options? I want cheap but something that could lift the bed with about 3 or 4 tons of material on it. So say I need to lift 5 tons after the bed and as much weight as I think I’ll ever carry with it. I really just need a used unit. It won’t be used everyday I don’t think but i don’t want to shell out big bucks for a new one if I don’t have to.

So:
    Anyone built their own?
    Anyone have a used one for sale?
    Anyone know of places to get them cheaply new?
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

eric try this site also i'll look for morehttp://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...970&PHOTOS=on&productId=622669&categoryId=416
    i think it's alittle pricey though. Personally i would build one, i have tons of cylinders and pumps to use and the lines and fittings could be made at my dads shop. i would check that same site for a 12v pump/powerunit. also cylinders are relatively cheap. go to a local truck dealer take some pics and see how they work then fab one up you could probaly do it for around $500:cool:

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Bill. I'd seen the Northern one but at $1200 i thought it could be cheaper! I can get a pump and cylinder for nothing but I don't know if the cylinder would be big enough. I just need to look at ones already on trucks like you say.

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

pierce wrecker
    in henrietta tx
    same kit northen has
    but cheaper
    1800-658-6301
    www.piercesales.com

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

eric, I'm going to a sale on Saturday. They have about 20 used trucks with dump hoists on them. Last year I bought a 93 F350 with 4 door and dump hoist for Can$1400. I robbed the hoist off it then built a flat bed for my Chev diesel. I then sold the F350 for Can$1500. I might buy a couple of trucks again this year. I have a sissor hoist on my Ford F250 but it doesn't have near the lift capacity of the single post. I wouldn't bother with a scissor lift again.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Get a larger hoist than you think you will need. I have a 10' flat bed with a 5 ton rated hoist that will not lift 3 tons. It sucks to have to shovel part of the load from the front of the body to get the hoist to pick up the body.

Gene

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks for the input guys.

Cantoo, if you bought an extra truck and robbed the hoist I’d probably buy it if the price was right. I want to lift the bed with 6,000# on it (never have to haul that I don’t think but if I did I wanna do it like Gene said). Course I don’t know how you’d ship such an item from Canadia…
    Thanks,
    Eric

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I know your on a budget but you may want to look at this site www.delhydraulics.com

I had a post hoist on my other truck it does have one draw back is you have to have a dog house on your headache rack. The hoist on the truck would dump 9000lbs of gravel like nothing.

I probably will go with a post hoist on my next dump deck I wasn't a real big believer in scissor hoists.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, there must be auctions near you. Around here most City stuff is sold by auctions. As for shipping most of Ontario's used tractors are sold and delivered to Michigan Indiana, Ohio, etc. There will be American buyers at the sale tomorrow and the one on Monday.
    I'll put the link here to the Monday sale so you have an idea of what is there. They do all the broker work at the border and deliver to your door.
    http://www.bryansfarm.com/101/bryansfarm/auction/index.htm

Here is the one for the City of Toronto.
    http://www.mckenzieauction.com/upcoming/200405151000.shtml

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Cantoo, yeah we have auctions but I don’t have the cash to buy another vehicle and I don’t have time to switch the hoist and then resell the truck.