Flat bed people......

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD that I am considering putting a flat bed on. I have been qouted $3,000 isntalled for a black, steel bed. Seems fair but I have not checked around and this is from a reputable shop I use from time to time.

My concern is is it worth it? How do you like your flat bed? This will not be dumping and I don't know how much weight it will be additing vs the factory bed.

I don't know, any insight? Got pics of a particular setup? I just need more room for material, not looking to haul heavy loads.

2. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I have always wanted a flatbed too, I would have thought you could get a aluminum bed for that price. I always see steal ones for under 1500 cash and carry with lights, headache rack, reciver hitch and cutout for goosneck. They might be cheapo's though. I was looking at aluminum bed's and weight was at about 300-350 which should be about the weight of a factory bed, steel will be little heavier, sure would make for A handy truck.

3. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

That seems like a fair price. If I were you though I would put a hoist on it so that you could dump a little material here and there. We just did one our 3500 hd but we are actually going to sell the truck because we really don't use it like we need to make owning it worth while but if I were going to do it that would be the way I would do it. For the most part though we don't use it and found that a flat bed is not really all that useful unless you haul pallets of material everyday. So since our suppliers drop off our material it makes no sense.

4. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

it depends, there are many different brands, but for a basic, nothing fancy, you should be able to get one for 1500.00

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

where? who? thats all i need

6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

Im pretty sure truckcraft makes an all aluminum flatbed liek the one ur describing. I saw it at the truck body shop a few years back. Iy def was sharp, it had a head ache rack and leds all around the flatbed.

7. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Omaha Standard makes platforms and truck bodies.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For a P/U truck go with aluminum if you go with a 7x8 or 7x9 steel bed it will be too heavy. Plan on adding a extra 750-900lbs to the truck. A aluminum bed is lighter and will look a little better.

Here is a link

www.tgsales.com/saleitems.html

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ever look for used? They are around and usualy almost as good.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Gravel rat,
    Do you know where that company is located?