1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flat Blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Apr 17, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just received a new 2003 Rotary catalog with a blade order I placed. Kinda reminds me of looking through the Sears Toy Catalog at Christmas time when I was a kid. Anyway, one of the "new" items this year is the "GrassHawg" flat blade. It's a perfectly flat blade that is sharpened on all 4 sides. No lift whatsoever, less power used to turn it, less noise, etc. I run mulching blades on my Husqvarna ZTR but for those of you that run doubles, I would think that this type of blade would be perfect for the bottom blade. Have any of you seen this blade yet or tried it? If it's OK with the moderators I can post a picture from the catalog. Moderator let me know.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How can it having "no lift" be of any use...especially if the grass has any moisture on it? Maybe the lift from the top blade when running doubles is enough? Dunno...would have to see this combo in action first.
  3. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I am not sure if it is the same blade or not but Bladerunner has introduced a flat blade to be used with a standard blade. I was told for some of the same reasons that you listed but mainly for no loss or little loss of hp.
  4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I could see this being of use in a doubles situation...... 2 extra cutting edges with little or no extra blowout????...
    Might be worth a try...
  5. mowerman90

Here's the page out of the Rotary catalog

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

all 4 sides sharpened? I only see 2 like on a regular blade :confused:

Also I had a 21" Toro with a perfectly flat blade like that. It cut awful and had zero suction so it never pulled the grass up and left a bad cut. Also have a 32" single blade deck for my old Bush Hog garden tractor with a perfectly flat blade. It cut OK but same problems as the little Toro but it was made better by the fact that it was a big deck that was deeper so the grass had more room to stand up. I could see it being helpful in a double situation as mentioned..
  7. mowerman90

I think the other 2 edges are on the bottom
    not shown in the pic
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

you mean like a double edged knife or not like that at all?
  9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the same Idea as the double blades on my Honda-They dont make a "X" pattern, they lay flat over each other-see pic below...
    The bottom blade gives lift, while the top one acts as a "mulch only" blade. Being on top of the high lift gives it better opportunity to recut grass being pshed up into the top of the deck by the high lift blade-- so yes, flat blades DO have their use.

Attached Files:

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

BHB looks like the blades are reversible---flip-em over and you've got instantly sharp blades.