1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flat/Dump Bed on a Non-Dually Pickup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eclipse, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a flat bed dump on a 3/4 truck. The main thing I would be hauling is grass clippings, pruning debris, and bark. I realize the capacity is not that great but I would think with the lighter materials I would be ok.

I have looked at dually's but I don't think I need the extra capacity of a dually and the truck I am considering putting the flatbed on I just spent a ton of money on it and I think it is a great truck. I would hate to sell it at this point so I am trying to make it work for the time being.

I looked at dump inserts and unless I find one at a great price, I would rather put the money toward a flatbed with a hoist.

Anybody else running a flatbed on SRW truck? Any comments, good or bad, about a SRW flatbed dump?

I appreciate your comments.
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Landscape company across the street has a flat bed 1/2 ton chevy. Put an add a leaf in it and off they go. Little hairy when you have a full load (3 1/3 ft sides) and the roads are wet. They have been running it for 3 years so I guess it works. Also see they pulling a skid steer behind it too.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you said you would be hauling grass and other little stuff...if thats it then you can do it dually dumps can just hold more weight so a dump on a 3/4 ton would be fine for light material
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a dump insert in a 3/4 ton truck (Chevy 2500HD) and it works great. I can haul 2800 lbs. without exceeding the truck's ratings. If you need the flatbed for loading pallets on, it may be the way to go, but a flatbed with a hoist will probably weigh just as much and probably cost more than a dump insert.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

We have three trucks that are 3/4 with dumps. Work great for us. They are mostly the lawn crew trucks with mostly grass, leaves, other debris. Once you start to haul some rock, sand, gravel, dirt - you'll notice the extra weight. Winter time I have plows and we put extra weight in the back to help with the push!
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What about changing the rear wheels to dually style and just put a regular flatbed on it? It would look sharp, and possibly have more capacity.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Adding dual wheels to a 3/4 ton doesn't increase the capacity you still have a 3/4 ton truck and legally your only allowed to gross 8600lbs.

To get max capacity out of the truck get a aluminum bed and make it dump also try use a post hoist over a scissor hoist. A scissor hoist adds 300lbs to the truck.

A 7x8 flatdeck would work well on a 3/4 with and it doesn't look goofy with single rear wheels.
  8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

^^^ That is NOT true when you are dealing with a F-350 or 3500.:nono:
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Chevy 2500HD has a GVWR or 9200, and an F250 with a diesel has a GVWR of up to 10,000. GVWRs have increased somewhat over the years. Heck, you can get an F150 with a GVWR of 8200....
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I know you asked about a dump bed on a pick up truck, but what about the idea of getting a dump trailer with hydraulic hoist to tow behind your truck when you have those type of jobs and just leave the truck "as is"?