1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flat-Free wheelbarrow tires

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you people have switched to flat free solid wheelbarrow tires?

I think Sears sells them. For sure, Les Schwab the Pacific NW tire dealer sells them.

Les S. even sells mntn. bike tires that are solid, and will fill hand truck tires, although they sell them ready made too.

I plan to eliminate all tube tires this year.
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm most likely going to do it, but, jeez $50 for a wheelbarrow tire is steep, even if I never have to put air in it again....
  3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You think its steep.

Just think of how ofton you get to a job and your tires a little low. Just think about how much it would ruin your day to get a tree thorn in your tire. I got a tree thorn in mine, realized it was time to get a flat-free tire.

I will get my money out of it....as much as I use my jackson wheel barrows.
  4. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

If my wheel barrow tire goes flat I immediatly get one of those run flat tires. Because a wheel barrow with a flat is just a big heavy bucket!
    I have over 5 wheel barrows in my fleet.
  5. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

All my Wheel Barrows have flat free tires. I destroy a wheel barrow every few months and just change out the wheel. I use them to install decorative rock, load them with a skidsteer to run through small gates.
  6. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I hate those tires. I had one on my new wheelbarrel, and if you put any load in it, they feel flat. I complained, and they gave me a new tire to try, I'm not holding my breath though.
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're absolutely right, which is why I plan to get a flat free tire. I just wish they didn't cost so dang much...payup
  8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I've never bought them because I had been told that they are too bouncy. Has anyone had a problem with this. I can't even imagine one on a mountain bike, I know that would be too bouncy. They have to be targeting the guy who rides a mountain bike looking Kmart special around the neighborhood with his wife and kids. THere aint no way a real mountain biker is going to buy one of those.
  9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually think they are less bouncy.....
  10. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

I used to do a lot of mountain biking and some road racing, totally different thing. First, weight is one of the biggest factors on a bike,when combined with distance. You are not pushing a wheel barrow 100 miles, and there are so many inherent inefficencies with a wheel barrow, the weight of the tire is not a real problem. Second, you are not looking to push a wheel barrow 30mph against other guys with air tires. If the wheel barrow was empty, and you were racing other guys around a track, air tires would be best, as well as a carbon fiber "tub", aluminun handles, a Dura Ace hub, 28 spline wheels, etc. A flat tire costs me money, bottom line.