Flat front wheels on a walk behind?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GoneOverdone, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I run A LOT of Slime in all my ZTR tires. I mow a municipal with groves of honey locust trees. When I finish, there are at least 30 thorns in my tires. Having a flat, 3 miles from my trailer, isn't a good time. Haven't had a single flat, since adding A LOT of Slime.

For those of you not familiar with a honey locust. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

Observing
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

One flat in the beginning of the day out weighs the cost of solid fills. Down time kills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

As I posted earlier in this thread: I would think that the QOC would suffer at some point...especially mowing across slopes, maybe even when turning around at the end of each row?

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe on larger deck mowers, or really nice lawns?

Mine's a 36" and you'd never know it's "flat" unless you step on the tire and feel that it doesn't have air in it. I just get tired of checking it all the time - sometimes it holds air and sometimes it doesn't.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Do what's best for you, OakNut. You are your own judge/jury.
    A situation like this would bug me to the point of taking action. In fact, I was in a similar dilemma thanks to a roofing nail that a plug ended up fixing. So, I have two brand new caster forks shod with solid tires waiting in the wings for when this next happens. Hope I like them when the time comes.

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I stopped and picked up some Slime today. I figured I'd see how the $9 fix works before spending the money on flat-free tires.

Slimed both tires and inflated them. As expected, I saw a tint spot seep out on the rim on each of them. Who knows if it will hold - if it doesn't, I'll just get new wheels/tires and be done with it.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Just turn them a bit, they're only flat on the bottom.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Need to clean out the bead area and regrease it or it will leak.

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

They'll seal up. Though, it may take a bit before enough solids get to that area and the liquid sets up. I overinflated mine a good amount and that helped. Once they sealed up, I reduced the pressures back down.