Flat proof or air filled? ztr exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mainstreet1984, Mar 15, 2009.

1. mainstreet1984

mainstreet1984 LawnSite Member

I can't find the thread , so I am asking this question. On my exmark ztr 60" AS I have little (13-5-6) tiers and I don't like them. I wan to change them for 13-6.5-6 I already know that I have to change forks also. But sould I go for flat proof or air filled? How they do on grass? And shock absorbing wise? Thanks!

2. HulkXD

HulkXD LawnSite Member

I'd go with the flat proof if you mow places that are likely to have tire hazards, but the air filled would be more cushioned (obviously) and less likely to mess up anything else.

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have a '99 lazar 60'' 23 hp I ran the stock air tires for 8 years few 2 new sets of tires and a lot of flats. I put the emark flat free tire on 2 years ago I will never go back to air tires.

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

We put slime in all four tires and never worry about flats.

5. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I couldn't even make it 40 hours on my air filled tires before I upgraded to solid. Its well worth the money in time spent.

6. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Flat free, IMO, is the only way to go.

7. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Go w/ the Carlisle Reliance flat-proof tires. They are what come standard usually on Scags and now Kubota's I believe. They have a hollow inner core for more flex and give as compared to solid tires. You press them on to your existing rim.

I sold several this year to local guys.

8. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

this goes back about 5 years ago but.... I used to buy j- thomas flat free tires
    We had a couple DFS 60"ztr's

With the flat free tires there is "no give" We had 3-4 cracks in the frames from the ridgedness of the solid tires. I have pictures if some of the non-belivers on here need.
    I know now they offer a softer tire that may help offset the problem we had.

kane

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, the old style were a bit stiff. New style is nice. Can't tell the difference from an air filled (except the flats!).

10. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

The only time I ever had a problem with air filled tires going flat was before I added slime to them. After the slime I have no more problems with flats.