Flat Rock Wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by zinkjo, May 9, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

I've been asked to provide an estimate for a flat rock wall. The customer showed me the style of rock she would like. It is basically about 3" high and comes in various shapes and is almost white in color. Not sure what the technical name for the rock is. Anyway, the wall is 45' long and averages about 18" high. I spoke with a local block company and they gave me a price of $200 per pallet. A pallet covers about 20' with a 1' high wall.
    Does that price seem in the ballpark or should I do some more shopping?
    I've done quite a bit of paver installs, but never a flat rock wall. Any good sites for install techniques? I am assuming I need a 3" base of compacted QP to make a nice sturdy, flat base. As far as estimating time I see 2 people 10 hours each. Does that seem about right?

Thanks for any advice. I will post the pictures when it is complete.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nice sturdy flat and WIDE base a bit wider than the top.Have no idea of prices of rock in Jersey are and can't tell ya about hours unless you provide the following info,how close will the pallets be to the wall site?Is the site level already?on a slope?are you including building the base layer and compaction in that 2-people 20 hour guestimate?Don't forget your mark-up on the rock....
    Just remember,when you do a project for the 1st time it will almost always take you longer than you think.

3. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Pallets will be within 25 feet of the wall. Site is on a slight slope. Corner of the wall will be 18" high down to only about 6" high on the far end. Yes the base layer and compaction are in that guestimate. thanks for your time and help.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to bid it at a one price not hourly bid.45'wall on a slight slope,material fairly close,18" high on one end going down to 6" high at the other end I'd say 1500.00 for 2 stone wide.plus materials

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Are you doing a "natural rock" wall or a retaining wall made with concrete blocks?

6. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

It's a dry stack wall. The rock is mostly flat. Each piece about 2 to 3" high.

I only have about a day and a half to get the job done with a crew of 2. We are pretty busy right now and the customer needs it done ASAP. I basically want some assurance that I can get it done in a 14-16 hour window. Let me see if I can get a picture to give you a better idea.

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, is this a "decorative" wall?, will it be free standing? Mortor-less? or backed up with dirt [ as in a raised bed], either way the foundation is important, and the selection of "cap stones" is as well important to keep water from gettin in between & freezein in the winter............Will you be use-in stone shims to balance the layers?............We pay $185 for Pa wall stone here, sounds similar.

8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, about priceing......Installing natural stone walls is an artform & should be charged for!...I did a 1-pallet job, the bed was irregular it measured 6ft x 2.5ft x 7.5ft x 3ft, its height was 2ft on 1 end & 1.5ft on the other.I used a yd of fill[ give or take] & it took me a 12hrs to install. [ remember all the stone isnt perfect ]the waste rock was also used for fill.....I doubled my pallet price to $ 375, charged for delivery $50.00, & labor to install $1200......as a "Nice jester" I added "Hens & chicks" between some of the layers of stone.......Again this is a speciality, personally I would charge about $3500 for the job you discribed?....Good Luck :)

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think the price mentioned by "nocutting" is pretty close. Start to finish.
    If your lacking the experience on this type wall...you will be pushing the time limitations to the max. Just don't hurry and try to finish because the customer is jumping up and down. Educate them on what it take to construct such wall and take your time...

10. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Here is a digital image of what the "after" should look like. It's a little fuzzy but it should give you a good idea of the rock wall.
    Current quote I am working on is the following:
    Cobblestone --- 75.00
    Hosta --- 65
    Wall --- 1,451
    Spirea Anthony Waterer -- 80
    Mulch -- 90
    Fill --- 60
    QPS Base -- 140

vazquez_house.jpg