FLAT TIRE BLUES

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WALKERMOW, Aug 7, 2000.

1. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

ANYBODY ELSE AIR UP TRAILER/MOWER TIRES EVERY MORNING?
    IF NOT, WHAT IS THE TRICK TO KEEP AIR IN THESE LOW PRESSURE TIRES?
    HELP!!
    thanx....rusty

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've had ALOT of instances where I had that irritating slow leak. I've also arrived at jobs only to find a tire completely flat. (Sometimes jumped off rim I guess) So, I carry a portable air tank with me at all times. One of the handiest things you can have on board. You just never know.

3. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

thanx runner!!
    don't have a air tank but i do keep a bicycle pump handy though...not effective on trailer tires but works great on mower tires..takes up less room and don't have to worry about it (tank)running out of air either!!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it's a rim leak on low presure tires, I use never seeze grease on the rim where the tires bead seals. It has a brush with it and I put it all the way around the tire bead and rim, it has kept a front tire on my JD up for several years that used to go flat in a few days. Give it a try if it's a rim leak.

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I've had good luck fixing flats with that green slime stuff they sell ,you take out the valve core and squeeze it in then add the air back.I also carry an airtank with me too.Never thought to bring a bike pump thou.... seems the tank runs out whenever you need it and that could save the day

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

The main cause of flats on mowers is the manufacturers try
    to save a few dollars by putting on cheap and nasty 2 ply
    tyres without tubes. If the rim gets even a small bend along
    the bead then you will have a slow leak. To solve this problem,try putting tubes in and maybe a tyre with a heavier
    ply rating.

Karl

7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Have used slim, fix a flat and outhers. I keep a air tank and bike pump on trailer all the time. I seem to go with no flats and then everything going at one time. have heard about foam filled but not tried yet.

8. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

100% solution to flats and slow leaks...SuperFlex SoftFill.
    Replaces all the air in the tire. Tire pressure is set for life of tire. Its the only polyurethane fill on the market that "rides like air". Weight problems are minimal because of the wide tire foot print. Consider the weight of a
    200 lb. man and foot print walking across a golf green. Weight per square inch is low. No more tire downtime!
    Try it and you can move on to more important issues in your business!(now only available for off-road use..up to 35 mph
    constant). Want more info email: info@kenjones.com.
    Please, no bashing. Not trying to "sell you", just trying to offer advice to help you guys. (This product has to be installed locally by a certified dealer). A lot of guys aren't aware this type of product and are wasting their time and money experimenting on things that aren't 100% effective.