Flat tire options/ need imput

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMARK, Sep 13, 2004.

1. BMARK

BMARK LawnSite Member

Being new at this I just had my first flat on the front caster tire of my Lazer Z. Its only a puncture not torn. Do you guys usually plug, tube or use the kevlar gel that you insert into the valve stem? Using a tube doesn't seem to solve the problem as the gel I understand helps prevent some punctures. Do you plug when your on site? Appreciate your imput.

2. satch

satch LawnSite Member

Invest in a good pluging kit.It will run you about $40.00 bucks off the TECH supply trucks.Do not buy a cheap kit the plugs are to small and the glue is poor quality.I have learned this through trial and era.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I personally keep a plug kit, a can of Fix-a-flat, a large bottle of the Green Gel (Slime) and a air tank on my truck so that I figure I can address any tire issue in the field that that way.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

and a air tank on my truck so that I figure I can address any tire issue in the field that that way.
    I see so few LCO's here that are smart enough to do that. Check out this site and see if they can accomadate your particular machine:

http://www.ameritire.com/

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of a air tank I have a small compressor that's rechargeable or will run off the cigarette lighter. Got it at Wal-mart.

6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

put about 24 ounces of a good tire sealant such as Slime or Berrymans in it. You wont have any more flats.

7. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

We slime all mower tires when we buy them and like MM said we have a good plug kit, fix-a-flat a portable air comp. and a tire guage in the truck.

As for trailer tires I would carry a spare

8. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

I run zero flats from J-Thomas. No more down time. :cool:

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Over the years we have tried just about every brand out there and Multi-Seal is the best.

Oldtimer

10. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

I took mine to discount tire and had them fix it, they did it for free. Dosn't really happen alot for free one only so u usually can get done with the job your doing and go have it fix and take a 1/2 hour.