Flat Tire? Plug, Patch, or Tube it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TrpD345, Jul 28, 2006.

1. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

Got a flat tire on my Z-Track today, the rear tire. How would ya'll fix it? Thanks for the help!

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If it is in the tread and not the sidewalls, plug it and then slime it as an extra precaution.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I came too close to an aluminum siding house and it slashed my sidewall on the z-master. It has yet to go flat on me, guess its not all that deep, but it circles the entire outside, put some soapy water on it and no bubbles.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That what I would do, thoose plugs seem to dry out or something and then start to leak after a while. I had never used Slime before this year , but after what everyone said about it here on the site I tried it and Im a beleiver now

wayne

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Plug n slime, great combo....

6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with the plug and slime method also, i've used it many times without fail at golf courses for repairing flats on carts, mowers, etc. Another little tire tip I've learned from working on race cars is that for bent wheels that won't hold a bead the best remedy is to straighten the wheel with a sledgehammer the best you can and use silicone around the bead to seal up any leaks (permanex silicone works great) - this works almost all the time

7. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I use slime in all my tires. When I plug I coat the plug with rubber cement,
    as well as the bead. I hate flat tires.

8. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

How much slime are ya'll puuting in a tire? How much for a rear tire? Is slime different from fix-a-flat?

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont recall exactly how much to use, but there are directions on the bottle and a scale of how much to use. Seems to me that 8oz is for the front tires of most mowers and a full 16 oz bottle is required for most rear tires. Slime can be purchased in 8-16-32 oz bottles I know, maybe even larger quanitys.

wayne

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had a plug dry out and leak ever. I never used Slime.