Flat tire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Sep 22, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has punctured a tire the last two times i have been there. It gives me a pinhole that leaks down by the time I am done, so I don't know when i am running over it. I can't seem find whatever it is either. I had to stop in a hardware store and buy myself a tire plug kit last week. Has annyone else ever had this nightmare? I dread going back next week.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Was the home recently re-roofed? That can be a nightmare.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Any hawthorn trees around?
    Used to get flats all the time at my property in new york state from the thorns on the hawthorns.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Did you ever try using tire slime? Or a similar product?

[​IMG]

5. Greenscape4u.com

Greenscape4u.com LawnSite Member

I use to run into that a lot at our condo's with our walkers until I mentioned it to my tire supplier and they told me to foam fill them , I did and what a time saver that is ! no down time running around to get it fixed.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If the house has been reroofed then get one of the bar magnets and hang it from the front of your mower while cutting. Remember to charge for this removal and also remember that it is also saving you money and time.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

flats are a PITA no matter how you look at them and no matter how prepared you think you are for them.

tire slime or somthing like it works well as said.

otherwise, just keep an eye out as your whizzin by for foreign objects on the ground that spell downtime.

I would say maximize productivity with tire slime

good luck

8. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Green,

You just have to love that extreme suspension you added to you mower.

With my machines the only suspension are the tires.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

team gopher!!!!
    Yes!!
    Slime
    did I say slime (or something similar)
    YES
    TIME
    TIME
    TIME!
    What did he say time.
    I could guarantee at least one flat a month before I started. But now That I have SLIME I haven't had a flat in my mower, TRAILER or Truck for at least a year. the 15 bucks is worth it to fill at least 8 tires.
    Don't do the time, Get slime!

10. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I thought I had the same problem. tire seemed to go flat on the same yard every week. went through 4 tubes.

finally pulled wheel apart when I wasnt in the middle of a mowing day. found tire had been damaged by 1st flat, it was rubbing hole in every tube i through in it. replace tire and tube, end of problem.