1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flat tires in the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Every winter I walk out to the shed, and sure enough, I have some flat tires on the equipment. You guys ever have this happen? They are fine in warm weather. I figure why replace them now, they still do the job when I need them to. Just seems odd.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

It used to happen before i got a heated warehouse
  3. Fox Lawn & Garden

Fox Lawn & Garden LawnSite Member

Put a tube in the tire.
    No more flats.
  4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

did ya put winter air in them before storing ?? LOL just kidding

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the felling, i keep a flat that's part of it.
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Since you are going to have them in a shop all winter, lift the mowers off the ground & set them on blocks so that the tires don't start to crack/weather.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Little gremlins.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

as the weather gets colder, the rubber looses its flexibility and its sealing ability (remember the challenger accident back inthe 80's) so the loss in flexibility, plus the decrease in tire pressure(cold temps lowers the pressure) makes it easier for aire to slip past the bead. so it easy to have a flat tire with no detected leaks.
  9. mowpart rep4

mowpart rep4 LawnSite Member

check w/ mowpart.com for the best tire sealer on the market its called multi seal

10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Got 2 right now sittin on the rim. DC and the Areins. If it was not 17 degrees id be out there right now.