Flat tires on dump trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by neversatisfiedj, Dec 1, 2005.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I am continuing to have flats all the time on my dump trailer. I actually had to buy another rim because it bent some how and air was coming out. Anyone else having problems keeping tire pressure up ?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your local mower repair shop and ask for a bottle of tire sealer, Not fix a flat. Install as directed and no more leaks.
  3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah I bought some of that green slime. Haven't put it in yet. I acually have leaks around the rim. I'm hoping it will fix it. I bought a rim and tire for one of the other wheels and it was 250.00
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My God ;) What kind of trailer is this ? I would have to think long and hard and do some serious shopping before throwing down that kind of money.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Is it the rear tires that are going flat all of the time and getting nails or screws in them? If so it is because the tandem rear axles are sliding sideways when you make hard turns and they will actually stand up a nail or screw into the tread of the tire. That is how most of my flat tires happen on my tandem axle trailer.
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If the wheel is steel you can pound it back into shape unless it's really beat. Have you been running it into curbs? Gilla Gorilla, I've picked up a lot of nails in my back tires too. I have a love hate relationship with Slime. It works really well but make sure you get the tubeless type. The other stuff just oozes out of the bigger holes. When it comes time for a new tire your in for a nasty gooey mess.