Flat Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeC, Apr 6, 2000.

1. MikeC

MikeC LawnSite Member

How do you folks minimize the chance of getting flats. Does Slime really work? Can you use Fix-a-Flat on low pressure tires? Do any of you carry a tank of compressed air?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Foam fill 'em and forget about it.

3. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

what do you mean foam fill them?????

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We had this discussion before, it must not be popular everywhere.<p>My local tire wholesaler fills the tires with an expanding rubberized foam that is totally and completely flat-proof. You could drill out the tire side and it would make no difference.<p>It makes the tires heavy (which is good in many cases) and can slightly comprimise ride if you like your tires on the soft side, but it radically increases tire life.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

the 2 drive tires on my gravely walkbehind both has slow leals that year. if i filled the tires theyd be flat by the next day. i didnt have the time to change them so just for the hell of it i bought a can of prestone tire fix. that stuffs incredable! 6 months later the tires are still holding the same air!

6. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Put 16 ounces of slime in the tire and it will seal holes up to 1/4&quot;.

7. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

EVAN528 is right. Prestone tire fix does the trick. I tried Slime, but it didn't do it. I used to have to carry an air tank, but not anymore.

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

The tyres on my Kubota really piss me off.<br>Who was the moron who thought to put tubeless<br>tyre on a ride-on?We have tubes in them now<br>and they are a lot better.On the tractor<br>I run 10 ply Firestones and they are good.<br>Some guys run steel armoured or Kevlar lined<br>tyres on their tractors.