1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flat Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joe W., Jun 5, 2001.

1. Joe W.

Joe W. LawnSite Member

Was wondering what you guys were using for flats? How does Slime work? Why do tires seem to only go flat on the bottom? LOL.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

slime works ,but it sure is sim0ple to just plug it
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if i have this right, you should ask homer. i think i recall him saying how he keeps going through trailer tires.
  4. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

We use green goop from NAPA and it works well for a small thorn or nail however most larger holes require strip plugs.
    Both of these items are kept on the truck at all times along with an air tank and glue for the plug strips (PVC cement will work if you are in a bind).

Plug advantage= plugs larger hole, wont “go bad”, not as messy, do not have to remove the tire to repair, quick repair.

Plug disadvantages= requires tools specific to job, reaming tool, plug sticker, glue.

Goop advantages= a pint will plug a lot of holes before needing to refill the tire (small thorns, small nails, tacks)
    No tools are required to install except valve core tool and air tank.

Goop disadvantages= requires removing the valve core to get the material in to the tire hoping you have enough air in your tank to fill the tire back up, kind of messy.

Filling the tires with foam= most people say it makes the ride rough and causes the tires to wear fast. The tire wears out and you have to replace tire and rim most of the time, to much money for the hassle.

This is just my observation/opinion of fixing flats.
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

well just last week i ran over a spike and it blew my back tire on my trailer. well the only thing i had in my truck was some saran wrap from some brownies i was cooking. well i wrapped the tires in the saran wrap and then filled them with air, then i bolted them back on and they have been fine ever since. though i have the feeling that they are BAKING back there in the saran wrap. well this might do you some good, please don't listen to me i have no idea what i am talking about. thanks :confused: :alien:
  6. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Hey Freetime,

I've been using the plug kit for fixing tires without the glue because I wasn't sure what it was for . Is the proper technique to dip the plugs in glue before using ? I haven't had any problems without the glue , but if it will increase the plug's strength , I should probably use it. Can you elaborate on what the glue is for ?:alien:
  7. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

1. The glue is a lubricant for the cleaning tool (reamer) used to clean out the hole, there is less chance of the cut/hole ripping or tearing as less pressure is needed to force the tool through.

2. The glue is a lubricant for the plug, making it easier to push in the tire, meaning the tire does not need as much air pressure to combat the force you are applying to push it (the plug) in to the hole.

3. The glue is a bonding/welding substance; it will soften the material in the plug strip and get in the cracks and crevices where the plug might not reach (and cause a slow leak) and somewhat bond the plug to the tire.

4. Another reason to use glue= sure beats some of your own nasty spit after eaten that onion infested hamburger for lunch.

We will use a combination of goop and plugs if necessary, on a tire that has tread left on it, others will be changed as most time if you are plugging to much the tire is worn out anyway ( or you are running over bois d’ Arc “bod arc” limbs every week)

Tomoaktree A: yes sir, I dip the plug(on the pusher)in the glue.

WARNING: use a rag over your hand when pushing the tool and plug in the tire to keep the glue from going everywhere, mainly in your eye.

Hope this helped?
    ;) :angel:
  8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

BTW: We only use the goop and plugs on mower tires, as for trailer tires it is a plug or to the shop we go to have a patch or tire put on. (rotten way to start out a morning)
    :angry: :D
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have foam on my caster tires and wouldn't ever have anything else again. My drive tires have been no problem but I carry a plug kit on the trailer.
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

heavy duty slime, carry plugs and air tank. Dave g