Flatbed conversions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ned5485, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Are there companies that sell pre-fabricated conversions for pickup beds? I am talking about the trucks that look like they have a trailer instead of a bed. I don't want a cab-over. I want to remove the bed from my F150. Does a company exist that sells these, or are they all custom made? I saw a thread that I think was talking about a company in TX that made them, but I need a company that will ship it to IN.

2. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

First warning in that direction. The beds are seriously heavy. We have 2 one salvaged from a wrecked truck the other custom fabricated. Expect to lose 6 -800 pounds in capacity. In an F150 that can cut the payload deeply

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I always wondered if you could modify, say a 12-14 trailer bed to be used on the back of a pickup.Of course a different gate. At most the load would only be two Z's.

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

What length are you after? Consider getting one fabricated in aluminum-it would be alot lighter.

5. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If I could get just 1 60" ztr on my truck, I would only need to use my trailer about 1 day a week. Any idea what I should expect to pay for an aluminum bed?

Heather, I considered the weight issue. I thought that if a flat bed conversion was cost effective, I would then see about a suspension upgrade. I do not know much about them, but have seen air bags and springs, as well as heavier duty leaf springs that advertise adding up to 2,000 pounds of payload. Any thoughts?

6. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone have any idea about the cost of a lift gate? I imagine that would be extremely heavy. Especially a lift gate that would be big enough to fit all 4 tires of a ztr.

7. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Check out this website, it's probably the TX company your are talking about.
    http://www.primetrailers.com/
    This website has an aluminium one but I can't get a price quote from them.
    www.rdmerlot.com ref#RDMWT2009

Hope this helps, let me know what you find out.

8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

9. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about the ability of the truck to carry the load. Lift assist kits are available, as you see, quite readily. Worry about the ability of the braking system to STOP the truck. THAT upgrade cost can put you into a new truck cheaper. Overused brakes heat up and fade when hot, lengthening out the usual stopping distance. Staying inside your GVWR with a half ton can be done, but would take a lot of expertise and should not be taken on lightly. Do the computations work out the required body weight and required payload and compare it to the GVWR.

10. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That is what I am looking for. What kind of wieght did that add to your truck? Do you mind telling me what kind of cost I could expect?