Flatbed on a Half Ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Patriots, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Was thinking about converting a halfton pickup into a landscape maintenance truck. Would rip off the bed and put on a flatbed to better haul maintenance equipment - nothing very heavy. Only problem I can see is that the bed will weigh almost 1000 pounds empty, I was planning on installing helper air bags only concern is if that will be enuf. Bed Capacity is 1,588 subtract 300 for stock bed which leaves me with approx. 888 pounds before helper bags. Is this a big mistake or what?

Thanks.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

make an aluminum bed, 1/2 the weight.

3. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I considered that - but wont the cost go through the roof? Custom fabricated steel bed - $1800.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How heavy a bed are you making?

The bed built for my pickup 3 years ago was $400 for materials. Granted steel has increased quite a bit. As far a weight maybe added 200LBs more that what was already there. I put a treated wood floor of 2x6 for decking.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We are putting one on our heavy half ton. We are going to use 2"x6" rectangular steel tubing for the outter frame. I figured it out to only weighing around 500-575lbs even with 2" steel tubing center braces every 14" The cost minus labor for welding was only around 400-500.00. A stock 8ft bed (on my truck) only weighs around 450lbs so adding another 100 or pounds isn't a big deal. We also have 3/4 rear leafs and 3/4 front springs so it will hold the weight easily. We also tow a 8.5x16 enclosed trailer with no problems what so ever, it doesn't sag or bog it down in any way. PM me and i'll give you our specs, if you want.:waving:

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i had one years ago on a 84 chevy 1500. it was used for hualing parts for a junk yard.

the frame was 1X2 rectangular steel. the floor and sides were expanded metal.
    it had helper springs and did just fine.

the bed was 8X12 with 12" sides.

too bad the cab and motor went to crap.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's not worth the effort on a standard half ton, the added weight of a DIY flatbed turns the truck into a gelding.

8. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Not sure about that, its a 5.7 liter 305hp.

9. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

i think the minimum for any kind of truck altering body should be at least 1 ton, but hey is worth a shot if you do it let me know how it works out.

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

buddy of mine built one for a f150 by the time he floored it, it was almost on the tires