1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Flatbed Toyota mod?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nherweck, Jan 18, 2008.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

OKAY, first time to post in a few years. I sold everything in 2006 to focus more on college and whatnot, but now that I'm out of the Lawn Care business, I'm missing it.

I don't have great credit (bought a new car a few months ago), so I'll be buying an old truck to start off again.

I found a 1986 Toyota Flatbed. It's an extended cab and has wooden rails on the side. My question to you is:
    Is there any way to add a dovetail to the tailgate? I'd like to easily load and unload my equipment, and I think that's the easiest.

Thanks!

2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a steel framed flatbed you can add a dovetail with a little fabrication work. There are a couple of guys here that have done that. One guy with a fullsize Dodge had one built specifically for his lawn business ,and there is a guy that runs Ford Rangers with landscape bodies. I'm just up the road about 40 minutes from you and I use a fab shop to do all my stuff. They could easily fix you up if you need it. If you can weld I don't think it would be tough at all to add a dovetail.