flatbed truck for mowing? anyone hauling mowers on a flatbed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LoweJ82, Jan 29, 2014.

1. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Holy fking Jesus man. Has this guy never heard of a trailer? Or a bigger truck even?

2. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

The bed is just under 8' wide and is 10' long. A removable dovetail I think would be best I think, however building one to just mount unmount in minutes I don't think I could do.

I've thought about finding a old dovetail trailer or camper frame and cutting the needed portions off then making something that bolts onto the flatbed and uses the Reese hitch for under support.

As of now I only have a 21" & 33" wb however I'm looking at a 48" wb as well and would like to eventually get a zero turn rider also. I do have a nice arsenal of handheld equipment I like having on the truck as well.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

FFLD CT was Land of no trailer, mowers in the back of the pick up….
    used to be the ONLY was to roll!

For a removable dovetail you'd get a guy who used to fab them all the time.

Only I don't live in easton anymore…so you have to find someone else!

4. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah, I have heard of a trailer actually. And yeah I have heard of a bigger truck also, and have since purchased one. It's called making the best of what you've got at the time.
    I posted the photos because I wanted to show the concept of using a flatbed for mowing. I even explained that that particular truck didn't work out. I'd like to see the idea used with a bigger truck/ bigger bed, that's all.

5. RedSox4Life

from Mass

I wasnt trying to offend you, sorry if it came across that way. I was under the impression that wasn't your truck also, just something you were using as an example. But seriously, that truck is awful for so many reasons. I'd be buying something else right about the second time I had to use that push mower.

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Why is it awful?

That truck may be the perfect setup for someone working in a city
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. peeklandscaping

from CT

Yeah I got rid of the truck as soon as I could. Just couldn't handle the weight issues, as well as the pretty clumsy ramp setup.
    For ramps/ dovetails/ stuff like that, I'd check out this: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=109431

8. RedSox4Life

from Mass

Besides the sag?

It would just drive me nuts having everything jammed in there like that. Like I said earlier loading and unloading the push mower once would be too much for me. Climbing around like a monkey to fuel everything too.

Maybe I'm just spoiled or lazy, but I like to have free, easy access to everything..... I don't know.

9. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks ill check it out

10. peeklandscaping

from CT

I think it'd be great if you were running only smaller mowers, like 21 & 33in WBs. Z-turns or bigger WBs wouldn't work well