Flaten out a soccer field?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BladeRunner1967, Apr 1, 2005.

1. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

I need help on this guys. I signed up 2 soccer fields last week and now the guy wants me to roll the field because it is very bumby. Doesn't look like rutts in the field from cars or anything. I told him I would look into it. He thinks all it needs is one of those plastic water filled lawn rollers. I don't think that will do the trick. Do rental stores rent big rollers? Sorry I did do a search on here, but did not find much. I guess what I'm asking is all you vets out there that have encountered this could you give me a few suggestions? I only do this part time and I don't want to pass on this. Also ballpark figures would be great too. I tried to get a pic, but it was too dark. Thanks guys.
  2. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

well being that I am a soccer player I know that some can expect a lot from the fields that they play on. I would like more information like is this a field used daily for practice or just used for games. Is it used by a big soccer club or just for recreational teams. This could mean spending a little time on it or a lot of time. There are bigger heavier rollers that you can rent I have used one you ride on at a golf course when I worked there or you can try when it is a little wet out to use a small water filled one. I think that if you are going to roll it you will compact the soil but the good news is that all those cleats out there will punch little holes in it and if they wear the long screw in type cleats it will be even better. I had the chance to sit in on an athletic director speaking of maintaining fields and he spoke about top dressing, seeding many times through the year and a few others. Just a few things you can do to make it look good and get more of these fields. I am looking to get into it in this area.
  3. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

This field is in front of an airport. It is on loan to a township soccer club. This field is used from having a yearly festival to parked cars when the president came last year. It is for Under 10 girls league. They do wear cleats, but I was thinking of aerating afterwards.
  4. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i also play soccer.. this field doesnt sound like it has to be fantastic. they take great care of our highschool fields.. lawndoctor, and much seeding. imo its not worth spending a ton to rent a huge piece of equipment for this.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

So then it is not really a soccer field at all but a grass parking lot that they now want to play soccer on. Good luck with then as it will need more than just rolling as we maintain 4 true competitive soccer fields and it is a twice a week job, every single week. As a matter of fact we are fixing to put down the spring overseed of 700 pounds of specially blended athletic field seed at our cost alone of $2.50 a pound on Monday. But yes to answer your question you can rent larger rollers. Since it is not really a playing field heck I might would wet it down some and rent an asphalt type roller and use it.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have installed a varsity soccer field and maintain an athletic complex (school district). We do the soccer field, varsity baseball practice field, vb practice field, the girls' softball field, and the varsity football playing field. Contact me if you like. I have some info and links to info that can be very beneficial to you. Get with me BEFORE you put down your athletic mix, unless you have already purchased it.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

From what it sounds like, you may just want to use a lawn roller on it after an inch or so of irrigation. Aerating afterwards sound like a good idea too.
  8. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

This soccer field is more of a recreation field would they go for the expense to level the field? The advice to aerate is a good suggestion, I would take one more step, aerate, roll with heavy roller, then aerate again, the first aeration will open up the soil allowing for more effective leveling. I maintained a sand based university field for years where we aerated 5 times a year and rolled twice each year.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if this is any help, but we maintain a couple private polo fields. The owners have a asphalt paving company bring in a couple of their big double drum rollers occasionally to help level out the field. You'd be surprised how the horse's hoofs can tear up the turf when they play on the weekends.
  10. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

My advice to him would be instead of trying to roll it out, bring in two truckloads of topsoil of his choice and spread it out for a better level. A hell of a lot better than trying to "flatten" out the bumps, bring the rest of the field up to the bumps.