1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fle-Markett Find

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Went to our local Fle-markett and seen some mowers one trimmer and a STIHL BR400 Backpack blower looked good. I asked the guy to start it up and he did it started on the first pull and had some good air comming out of it blew like crazy. Then I asked well, how much is it? He said $85.00 I got it right then. I think it's a good find. Any one else come across good finds?
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone on this board said they bought one for $85.00 at a flea market. LOL!

Great find, I bought 2 new Stihl's a few years ago and they are STRONG! Something like 4 hp from a 57cc engine.

But- they are made of brittle plastic and the gas tanks break easily at the filler neck so handle them carefully.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a big Homelite chainsaw at a yard sale for $5 didnt have a spark plug in it the owner said he didnt know what was wrong. Actually I bought it just for the red case it was in, brought it home popped in a plug and fresh gas, a dozen pulls later and it was running and cutting a few test logs. Put my Husky in the case threw the Homelite in the back of the truck and sold it to the tree guy down the road for $75. Picked up a Mott hammerknife mower on the curb at bulk pickup week, got it running and used it a couple times but it spent most of the time collecting dust so sold it for $50 in a pennysaver ad.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Your Mott mower reminds me of something that happend to me last year.

I was mowing a lawn and the next door neighbor walks up and asks me if I would be interested in a riding mower. I ask him what he wants for it and he says "I just want it out of my shed". I tell him I'll be over as soon as I finish and was really expecting to see a rusted old Crapsman, etc.

I go over to his place and when he opens the shed doors there sits a I.H. Cub Cadet 1000 (1978 10 hp Kohler w/44" deck). The hour meter was showing about 300 hours and the paint still looked good. Playing "dumb" I ask "Whats wrong with it?"

He says, "It wont start, it leaks gas, the transmission wont work right, and the tires are flat".

I go back the next day with a fresh battery, an air tank, and my tool box. It was dripping gas from the air breather because the float was stuck from sitting idle for two years (took 5 minutes to fix), and the tires were flat from sitting (no holes) and his old battery was dead. I had it running and cutting grass in about 30 minutes!

I felt bad about taking it after getting running so quickly and told him so...but he said "a deal is a deal and I need the space in the shed...so get it out of here!" :D

The shifter was "loose" so I replaced it with a new one for $55.

$55, oil and filter change, and about 2 hours total labor...now it performs like a new one! All I need for it now is a new seat cover. YEAH!

Now if I could only find a BR400 for $85.....what a great deal!
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

not really a piece of equipment but... I got an 84 toyota 4wd station wagon many moons ago for 400 bucks. It had 176,000 on the odometer, and I thought it would last my wife and I a few months while we looked for a better car. 4 years later, It finally died with 254,000 miles, and a grand total of 780 dollars on all repairs and maintenance. With the block cracked and the clutch going ( it still sort of ran) I sold it for, you guessed it.. 400 bucks. Dave g
  6. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got a better deal than I did. I had to get a new end tube for the blower. It cost $10.77 for that darn plastic tube.
  7. tgrebis

tgrebis LawnSite Member

If it was one of those commercial flea markets that br400 could have very well been stolen merchandise. Its like getting tools at a pawn shop in Phila.
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

While on vacation in FL a friend was house sitting my girlfriends home. His apartment was burglarized and brand new TV stolen. He called to give the bad news. I told him to check the pawn shop (Small town of Princeton, population 2000), he called back two hours later, his TV was on the shelf. The TV was now evidence and he couldnt get it back until court date.

Recent theft in Maple Grove MN, a LCO had truck and trailer full of John Deeres driven off. Keep your things inside a bldg. Truck was "hot wired". I bet the owner was a little angry.
  9. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I bought a '82 Honda 125 motorcycle at a yard sale today for 20 bucks. A bit of tinkering and it fired right up. Runs like a top.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i recently picked up a stihl 015 in good running
    condition for 45 at a flea.my best flea find was my
    little 12 volt plug into cigerette lighter impact wrench
    for eight dollars.still hasnt met its match.
    that thing really saves a lot o arm work with blades an all