Fleas in my house....(huff)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sniggly, Jul 5, 2005.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

We let a neighbor stay with us for about 2 weeks while her kitchen was being rebuilt after a fire....she brought a dog....and the dog brought fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that can help with advice would be entitled to more than 1 virtual beer of his or her choice!

I know Talstar One, which I carry, is rated for interior use but would like some suggestions as to where to spray it and how heavy. Interior pest control is not something I know much about. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Foggers work fairly well.

3. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Uhhhh....we are living here....ain't going nowhere so I don't think foggers are going to be my best option.

Can I spray Talstar One on rugs?

4. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't say ... it is labelled for interior, I know, but seeing as how I'm not licensed for structural, I really don't know the answer to that. Foggers really aren't that hard - just get out of the house for the day and wash all of your dishes. Speaking from the same experience when I was growing up.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

We had a sick dog that had to be kept inside a few days, we used a flea powder made for carpets, and some spray from the grocery store, dust vacum, spray for about 2 weeks and got them out of here

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm pretty sure its labeled for carpets and upholstory, but i think they indicated on the label to test in an inconspicous area. you can also use Suspend SC, another insecticide(pyrethroid) labelled for indoor use as well. I've used Suspend for fleas too, worked excellent, I also bought Precor in the spray canister for chairs, upholstory, which works well at continued control from a number of months after. Good Luck, best it done every few weeks and be sure to sweep frequently!

7. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

We use Talstar and add Archer, which is a growth regulator. We treat all flooring surfaces, all upholstered furniture except leather, and hit the areas the animals frequent the most extra thoroughly. Here is a link to our site with the preparation page for a flea job.
    We get no call backs using this method, when the customer does his part.

http://www.advancetechpest.com/advance_tech.htm

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

So are we going to be able to walk barefoot in the house etc? After everything is dry I mean.

9. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I just checked my price for Archer, 1 pint for 39.25 plus uncle sam. That's worth it.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

:D

Sniggly

Egg Control is Flea control. Egg control can be the real problem. I have never used Archer but know Greg is very knowledgeable and trust his recommendation of Archer. I use Precor and have had excellent success with it. I am not going to repeat what Greg has already said or the information on his website.

I am only going to add a little about the life cycle of the flea. As first stated Egg Control is Flea Control and it is important to control the eggs. Therefore you might want to treat the outside yard also, especially if you have pets. BTW look on Greg's website for pet chemicals to put directly on your pets. Fleas lay there eggs and if all condition are favorable they will hatch and grow. The life cycle takes about 28 days so repeat treatment might be needed in about a month. However the interesting thing is Flea eggs can lay dormant for over two years before hatching. Only in the presents of Carbon Dioxide and vibration will the flea eggs hatch because mammals give off Carbon Dioxide and cause vibration. The flea needs a blood meal from a mammal in order to reproduce. Therefore to run a beater bar sweeper might be a way of controlling them, if a pesticide is applied shortly there after. Interesting enough if you had a cabin in the woods with Fleas and closed it up for 2 years, and then went back to it you would soon have flea because the eggs would start hatching. Precor and Archer are both called Growth regulars because they keep the eggs from hatching. Talstar which give quick knock down is a synthetic Pyrethroid and Pyrethroids are basically Harmless to Mammals, but will kill fish and birds. So be careful if you have those type of pets.