flex forks causing mess

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, Aug 22, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I bought flex forks and when I turn it scalps the grass and it is leaving uneven grass. Also the blades leave circles everywhere the forks dive when hitting a bump or rough spot. What should I do? If nothing I have a set of flex forks for a 05 super z for sale.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you talked to your dealer about this?

3. timmac

what can the dealer do?

4. MAJMattMason

MAJMattMason LawnSite Member
    from GA

It's hard to figure why some folks are not having any issues with flex forks, while others have problems such as scalping. It's been my experience that the flex forks are not a lightweight mushy setup. As a matter of fact, they're rather stout and don't bounce. How hard are you driving the tractor? My acerage is very rough and I would think that if anyone would be having an issue with scalping, it would be me, but it cuts great. I slow down on turns so I don't tear up the grass with the wheels, and am wondering what makes the difference in turns that is causing you to scalp? I would think any brand of mower made would scalp when hitting a bump or rough spot that goes in between the wheels. It's a flat deck even though it floats. I have a couple of spots that aren't flat and when the deck goes over them it will cut them lower than the surrounding turf, but that's not the mower's fault. Also, what size is your deck? A larger deck would exacerbate the problem. I'm cutting with a 72" and all is well.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I never had this problem on the Super Z and flex forks. I did turn a little slower and stop a little slower. Small learning cure but well worth the ride. Make your turns slower, that will probably help.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are not happy with them you can talk to him and see if he will allow you to return them.
    99% of the people that have them love them and don't have any problems with them, or they adjust there operation of the mower to stop this from happening.

Pj

7. timmac

what kind of adjustments can be made. and to all who ask me how rough i am riding. i am going so slow on some yards to not make the big circle scalps i could mow just as fast on a garden tractor. It doesn't matter how slow i turn either, the outside fork flexes and causes the deck to lower causeing uneven cuts on the corners. it is a 60 inch deck. I like the ride it gives but the cut is too bad to continue to have them on. anyone interested in buying them?

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My understanding of physics (limited) and common sense made me come to the conclusion that it would HAVE to cause cut problems on any turf that is not mowed quite high. Come to a stop, the weight transfers to the front wheels, they dip. They dip, the deck dips. I'm also not sure how you keep it from giving an uneven cut accross slopes where the majority of the weight is on the downhill side wheel. Wouldn't it flex a bit? Then again, I didn't understand another brand's independent suspension either. Obviously, it works for some.

9. timmac

on hillsides mine does flex on the downside causing uneven cuts. maybe my forks are not tight enough. i can stand up and sort of bounce and the really flex.

10. MAJMattMason

MAJMattMason LawnSite Member
    from GA

I'm not sure the difference it would make how high it was cut. If it dips, it would simply cut unevenly at a higher level, regardless of deck height. Another point to consider is that you're not riding on solid steel tires either. Those rubber tires with low air pressure are going to do the same thing as flex forks or springs or shock absorbers, regardless of mower brand. Tires act like shock absorbers also and will cause the mower to absorb some of the jolt. You're correct when you say that any mower with suspension would logically have vertical travel, to some degree. And any mower with hard, rigid tires would bounce so much as to give a bad cut. A smoother ride would give a smoother appearance. But you do have a point about deck height and scalping, if the deck is set higher the cut will look smoother simply because less of the grass blade is being cut even though the relative cut will be the same in relation to the ground.