Flex forks too bouncy?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rcmike, May 15, 2007.

1. rcmike

rcmike LawnSite Member
    from TN

I installed a set of flex forks on my Super Z today and went riding around in the yard with it. In the front yard it was very smooth and I could run full speed with no problem. In the back yard, however, it was another story. The back yard used to be a cow pasture and is on the side of a hill. There are old ridges where the cattle used to walk across the hill I think. It is sort of like little rolling hills instead of bumps. The front end would start bouncing and would get worse the farther I would go. It was like riding in a car with very worn out shocks. It is probably just my yard but I am thinking of using the stock forks. I could go much faster on this area before. Is there a way to tune down the bounciness somehow? Is there any chance it will settle down over time? I would assume it would get worse if anything.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is no way to adjust them.
    You do need to adjust how you drive the mower a bit.

Pj

3. kh971

kh971 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I know hat you are talking about bouncing, what has happened is that the spacing between the ruts, where the harrow or plow ran is spaced evenly. So when the mower is coming off the hop and going forward it amplifies the hop back up. The same would happen with a tractor or a truck drove in that field. Like a washboard road as we call them, down here in the south. I have experienced this many times, the only way to cure it, is to retill up your backyard and drag it smooth or have a couple of loads of dirt dropped and have someone to fill in the low areas with dirt using a tractor and box blade.
    I just recently fixed my yard this way.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dixie choppers new ones are ajustable

5. rcmike

rcmike LawnSite Member
    from TN

I looked over the area today and the conditions are a little abnormal. The bumps are spaced about a mower length apart so as the front comes down the back is going up so it just gets to bouncing. I wasn't meaning I was running wide open over this area. In fact it would do it going pretty slowly. I don't think there is anything wrong with the flex forks, I can see how on normal bumps they would work great. I will try going another direction and see if that is better. I haven't really mowed over it yet, I was just testing the ride. Really what would fix it is a dozer but I don't think I want to go that far with it right now. :) The only thing that got me was that it was pretty smooth there without the flex forks.

Besides this little issue I love the mower. It cuts very well and has lots of power with the Kohler 30hp engine. I'm confident it will last a long time as well.

6. rcmike

rcmike LawnSite Member
    from TN

I finally got to mow with it today and I am happy to say the flex forks are working out much better. I put a little more air into the rear tires and that helped a lot with the rocking motion. Thanks for the great products! :clapping:

7. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

You mentioned the need to adjust the way you drive. Can you elaborate on that? I was thinking of purchasing a set but have a lot of turning, beds and obstacles to go around and did not know if the flex forks would be better or worse.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

In particular you need to watch your stops, no sudden fast stops.
    Transitioning from flat to sloped areas also need to be watched carefully.

Pj

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Pj
    Can you use a bagger with the forks

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We don't recommend it.