flex forks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeepster, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

Do they make that much of a difference?

2. elrojo63

elrojo63 LawnSite Member

The difference is immense. I live right down the road from a hustler dealer and have tried out almost every model with and without flex forks. The ride is so much smoother especially if you get into any terrain with slightly clumpy grass like some pastures. In my opinion the flex forks are worth the $200. I know they'll be on my superz when I get it.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still having trouble grasping this concept of how these things work. It seems,...that if if these things flex downward, it would cause the front of the deck to lower to some extent. Now,...one thing to consider in this is that as the wheels lower, th wheelbase IS going to shorten - that would actually counter the lowering effect. However, I would love to see a set of these close up to see the actual travel of these.
    Now,...I am the same way about the Ferris' suspension. It would seem that it the whole tractor dips - and the deck is hanging directly from the tractor, then the deck itself would dip, also.

4. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a pair and would not mow without them...i was worried about the front "diving" with them, but i haven't noticed a difference..And they have shortened mowing time on some of my bigger HOA'S ..worth every penny in my opinion!!

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Try them. You'll notice a huge difference not only on the smoothness of the ride but also in your ability to maintain a straigh line in rough conditions.

On smooth lawns is like the front is riding on air.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Can someone post a pic of them?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

On the Ferris, the deck hangs from the suspension arms. As the tires hit the bump, they move the A-Arms and the deck hangs from them.

Yes, the Flex-Forks can cause "Crop Circles". They aren't for everybody. But they do ride real nice.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I find it extremely hard to believe that just a pair of flex forks on the front of a Hustler Z would make it ride better than the full independent suspension on the Ferris Z's (I currently own 4). I guess I would have to demo one to be a believer. Unfortuantely, Hustler has no presence in my general area.

I would still like to see a pic of them though installed.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Search some of puppypaws posts. He has pics of them.

10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

They're good for 2-300 hrs., then they are fatigued and the co. will do nothing about it because they're not broken.... (Kind of like DC and the bent forks) I heard Puppypaws complain of this and did not see a difference until this spring when we got the new 60 with Flex Forks. There is a big difference in ride height between the two, close to an inch and a half.. 150 hrs. vs, 450 hrs. I'm still satisfied with the performance of the newer pair but I'm sure it will be short lived...