Flexible board for screeds

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by iowa, Apr 1, 2007.

1. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Has anyone used that flexible board for their SRW screeds? I'm not quite sure what its called. For curved walls I would always not use any screeds and level block by block, but I saw that the lumberyard had some the other day and might try it on the next wall. any opinions?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about masonite? It's used all the time for concrete forms, so I suppose it would be fine for SRW use. Just make sure to use plenty of stakes...

3. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Yes...that is what im talking about. I was talking to a concrete guy today, and I think he called it glass board?

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we use plastic conduit and pin it to the radius on the back of the wall. to not only can you screed off of it, but it set the radius for you.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting technique, would you mind showing a pict, or explaining how you pin it in place a bit more?

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i don't' have any pics of it, i tend to forget to take construction pics. i need to do that more though.

we simple lay two pvc conduits parallel, about 16"-20" apart. the back conduit is pinned exactly on the layout of the wall radius. we use a 2' 2x4 and screed our sand as normal, then start laying your block with the back of the block just in front or touch the edge of the conduit. then when you pull the conduit up throw some sand behind the block and slide it down to the next section of wall. this is only useful on big long walls. be usually just do the one block at a time technique on small walls.

7. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Mckee if you can takes some pics this up coming year that would be great.