Flexible Swing Pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cenlo, May 12, 2005.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use the Hunter swing pipe but find it very "stiff". I have seen some blue colored swing pipe that is very flexible. Here in the colder climates that could help out alot. Does anyone use this pipe, or what do you guys use? I think the guy that had the blue stuff installs Toro.

Thanks, Don
  2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

If you decide to use the "more flexible" pipe make sure to clamp the swing pipe elbows. If you clamp the swing pipe elbows you should be ok with any type of pipe.
  3. Leo's

Leo's LawnSite Member

Or you could just run your normal feeder size pipe directly to the head way less materials used and less problems if one of those stupid fittings get a tiny little rock in it. In my opinion swing pipe is a waste of money and not very efficient
  4. johndarron

johndarron LawnSite Member

I would say that the swing pipe in question is the blue strip irritrol swing pipe. It is a very good product.

Darron Bryant
  5. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

The Toro Funny Pipe and the Irritrol Blue Stripe Flex Pipe are one in the same, the only difference being the color of the stripe. Funny thing is we get a better price on the Irritrol.

We got a smokin' deal on the Hunter swing pipe towards the end of last year, and brought some in. Customers quickly told us they preferred the Toro/Irritrol for the exact reason you said, the Hunter is stiffer.

Hope this helps.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious - what brand(s) of swing pipe and what brand(s) of swing pipe fittings led to that conclusion? Was zone pressure a consideration?
  7. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The pipe I saw was a solid blue color, with a "fabric" like exterior!
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, thats a great idea. That way the next time Joe Somebody drives on the head, it wont just damage it, it will break the pipe too :D

Btw, I use hunter funny pipe, its stiffness doesn't bother me, Lesco makes a nice barbed marlex that twists in easily without a clamp.
  9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Preach it!! I need more guys like you setting up my next service call because everything broke when the head was impacted!!
    Some pracitces in this industry are just plain good for buisness. This attitude is one of them. There is a real good reason EVERY arch spec out there requires some form of swing joint.
  10. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

We use irritrol and rain bird swing pipe. With rain bird and other manufacturers of swing pipe fittings. What led me to that conclusion is seeing so many different types of systems over the years and service problems/design problems and cutting corners during installation problems, why not clamp, peace of mind is worth more then .22 per head. We all have our different ways of installing and that is what separates company A from B along with their service response. I started clamping ever swing pipe fitting around 3 years ago.