Flier inserted into Newspaper

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IowaLawnEnforcement, Feb 6, 2007.

1. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

I have recently been getting prices on having my flier inserted into the local newspaper. Looks like it is going to be around $500.00 for everything to hit 7500 subscribers. HAS anyone taken this approach and had good results?

2. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

i also would like to here more on this as you can hit houses fast when the weather warms up.?????????

3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good really good price!

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Why spend $500 to do the fliers when you can just run an add in the newspaper. You will get to more then 7500 people with an add

5. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

people dont look at small adds in papers and there are also so many small adds in the paper that they dont work insert somthing that they look at

6. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

You may reach more people, but they may be outside of the area that you want to do business in too. I think it's a really good idea. Are you doing it through the paper, or through whoever is delivering the paper?

7. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

they can insert it in to the paper by zip code or even county lines so u just have to ask

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I know around here I can run an add in particular areas that I want to work in through there local papers.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've spent anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars on advertising that I would've thought would turn out great, and ended up sorely disappointed.

So what I do now with advertising I've never used before is to run a test ad.

That is, I pick one of their lower cost options with money I can afford to lose, and a regular ad of mine, and run it.
    It would be nice if, in your case, they had an ad costing between 50 - 100...
    Just something small, I realize it won't pull many calls, but gauge the results, and based on that I can decide from there on out.

As a rule, an ad twice as big should pull twice as many calls (but not always, sometimes it's less, sometimes a lot more...)
    But, if you get not even ONE call from the test ad, that to me would be a warning sign.
    If you do get ONE lonely call from the test ad, you might try something a little bigger, or nothing.
    If you get 2-3 calls, that would be nice.

Figure spending anywhere from 5 - 50 dollars per phone call received: Based on this, you'll have to also take note of the quality of customer...
    Unfortunately, one lonely call isn't enough to determine the long term effect...
    But just one high quality customer may be worth more than 10 of a far lower denomination.
    And, if you get a LOT of calls for the money, the quality may not be that important.

Ex.: I've spent 6-700 before, and gotten like a half dozen calls (that's $100+ / call), and half of that from other businesses trying to sell ME their crap!
    That's the kind of thing you want to spot coming with a test ad.

Doing this has saved me money in advertising that, if the test ad didn't do squat, would've likely resulted in the bigger ads providing similarly disappointing results. Now if the test ad does ok, then you might have yourself a winner...

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have been thinking about the flyer in the newspaper thing, myself. I've talked to one rep and got some prices. I'm supposed to meet up with some other gal that does layout and design for the paper, just to talk, but I haven't even called HER yet. The prices aren't too bad...In our local paper, The Flint Journal, it was going to run about $500 to distribute 10,000 flyers. There is an additional charge of $162.50 for printing, but this is on some decent stock, I guess. I believe this was a 2 sided thing, too - because I see in my notes here, that 500 flyers was going to run $234 for distribution with an $81.25 print fee. I am really looking into the post card thing that another member here did. To design it yourself, purchase the pics from the stock photo site, and have them shipped is really not that bad. the shipping costs DID disappoint me just a bit, though. I may hve to call this gal and meet up with her and see what she can do with a color thing. The thing about the paper ting is that like was mentioned before...it can be done to certain areas by zip codes.