Flier Wars...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnyogi, Apr 7, 2004.

1. lawnyogi

lawnyogi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This is the first year I have been in business for myself, consequently, this is the first time this has happened.

I passed out fliers for about two hours this morning. This was in the neighborhood of several accounts. When I came back to mow a couple of hours later, they were scattered all over the street. Inside the newspaper boxes were another company's fliers. This company, I thought, was legit. It took me another hour to walk around picking them up.

Should I just deal with it and expect this of every company?

I appreciate any advice.

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

A company that put its "flyiers" in newspaper boxes is legit?

My advise would be to mail them, then you know it will get to the home owner, thats the way most legit companies do it.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

James, learn how to spell. No. That's not typical. SO you're saying you're fliers were taken off peoples doors and scattered in the street? Eh, that person won't last long. Just be persistant.

4. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Happened to me once....I got a call from the HOA that my fliers were scattered all over the place. Apparently another LCO lived in that subdivision and proceded to take them out and throw them on the yard and then he called the HOA. He's not around anymore that I know of.

But it isn't typical...I have passed out probablt 10,000+ fliers over the years and that is the only time that happened.

Afterall, competition is the driving force for sales and without competition we would have a monopoly.

Try giving the company a call...see what they have to say about.

5. goat hearder

goat hearder LawnSite Member

I woudn't think that that is legal !
    Somone takes something that is not theirs off someones door-Maybee theft right there and you make the case that they were intentionaly hurting your business.
    you ought to check into it

6. lawnyogi

lawnyogi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks alot.

I have already spent $1000 on a post card mailer. I only got about 10 replies. I thought I would beef it up with some fliers. I guess I will continue.

Appreciate the feed back.

7. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

If you are putting them in newspaper boxes, it depends on the style of the box. Ive put them in the type that are square with no back and had flyers all over the neighborhood. It only takes a little wind to send them flying. I ended up buying clothes pins and clamping them in. Ive put them in the round type with a back with no problems.

8. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

On windy days put the flyers under the corner of their doormat or try using tape

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it wasn't that windy if he found another lco's flyers in the spots where he left em.

Yellow pages!!!!!!!