1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fliers or Form Letters?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BrandonH, Apr 14, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

This is the first year that I am trying to go full time and it's just not working out for me so far. I was very limited at the beginning of the year with my advertising budget, so I decided to put out 1200 fliers on doors. Well the results were horrible to say the least. There are some neighborhoods that I still would like to target, and although it is getting pretty late in the game for advertising I am in desperate need of work.

I am still limited as far as budget goes since I have very little money coming in right now. What I was thinking about doing was mailing letters to a certain target area. I can access names and addresses online via the appraisal district website and mail them myself. I know that bulk mail is cheaper for large scale mailing, but I don't have the funds to do that at this time. I was thinking about mailing out either fliers or form letters, but not sure which would recieve a better repsonse. I'm thinking I can afford to send out about 200 or so right now(I know that's not many, but it's better than nothing). With me doing it all I can be very specific on my target audience and maybe have decent results with the small volume. Hopefully I would be able to send out more in the next few weeks as well.

As far as the letters go I thought something along the lines of introducing myself and giving a brief desciption of my services. On the other hand I could print up fliers and just send them out. Any input is appreciated.

2. cwb20

cwb20 LawnSite Member

your better off using your money to put out the fliers and just leg it i know it sucks but tis the cheapest way.
  3. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I got zero response from the fliers that I put out earlier in the year. I was thinking that something that looked more professional coming first class mail may get more attention than the door to door thing. I know personally I tend to read all my first class mail, but most of the bulk mail or fliers that come to my house don't get looked at.

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I just put flyer's out this week(newspaper boxes only) I got an ok response out of them. I got one call about detaching and a few others that wanted me to come back and see if the visual quote i left of my flyer was a good one after walking around their property.
    I think the cheapest way is better because then you can afford to reach more people.
    I'd go with the flyers, to an extent i don't think people will care if you have a color flyer that was printed on a home computer or a full color letter that was very expensive to send out. Your name gets out there ether way. It is nice to have professonally printed up brosures and what not but I think the flyers would work just fine.
    The other day I ran my printer out of ink and i wanted another 100 flyers i went to UPS and they told me $0.99 for a color copy. Wow that is a lot, I though to myself i'm probally better getting the black and white copy for 0.03 cents and stapling the dollar i saved on it to the flyer and giving it to the costumer. I think i would have gotten a better response with the black and white flyer with the dollar stapled to it rather then the full color that i paid a dollar for. I was really considering that but then i just went to office max and bought myself a new ink cartage.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a specific letter that i print two to a page to attach to mailboxes. I printed out 100 fliers today at the UPS store on colored paper for 11 bucks. I handed all two hundred fliers out and am going back to print another thousand tomorrow. I hopefully will hand all those out tomorrow and go from there.

Go with the fliers, mialings dont work. I tried mailing to our church members and got one account out of 200 families.

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

The problem I have with fliers is that the neighborhoods I am wanting to target have strict regulations against soliciting. I'd much rather get a call from a potential customer rather than the sheriff's department.

7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Then why did you ask us? If you have your mind made up do it. Dont ask us, then when we all say go this way, say "oh no I am gonna go this way."

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi BrandonH,

Can you post your flier? Maybe someone here can point something out to make them more successful?
  9. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

gopher is right, you should be getting a response out of your flier. let's see it.
  10. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

As far as neighborhoods not restricting solicitors...last I checked this was still a free country. In Va the signs at the front of a community don't mean a thing, it has to be posted on each individual property. Beside, you're passing out "handbills", not "soliciting".