Fliers vs. Ads in the Paper

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TooTallLawncare, May 19, 2004.

1. TooTallLawncare

TooTallLawncare LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have a good amount of customers but wouldn't mind picking up a couple more. My question to you guys is this, what has worked best for you guys: spending the time and money and handing out fliers, or spending the extra money and running a ad in the paper? Some of you guys are probably asking yourself why I would be trying to advertise this late in the season and my answer to that is this. I am going to try and aim my advertising toward the people who are fed up with mowing during the hot summer days. This would include many elderly people. This is my plan, so like I said before, what method do you guys perfer and why? Thanks for your replies, best of luck the rest of the mowing season.

Jason

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

neither works well. Try going door to door, or referral discounts for your current customers for more customers

3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I have better results with flyers over ads....Yellow page ad is OK but flyers work far better ....Signs on truck and T shirts are good too

4. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

We definately have more responses on flyers than adds. The newspaper or yellow page adds can be quite costly. Flyers only cost a fraction of the latter. At the start of each season we pass out SEVERAL thousand flyers, and for every hundred or so we get maybe one or two new clients. But for the last couple of years we've maintained the same clients. Definately go with the flyers you will be much happier.

We try to stay away from going door to door and talking to the prospective client. It tends to take way too long and it seems like we get more misses than hits. Just pass out a few thousand and see what happens. This method has always worked for us in the past. Good luck!!!

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

When I first started I ran an ad in the " professional services" section of the classifieds for 30 days and was overwhelmed with calls, which caused me to have to leave my other job immediately. It also cost me no valuable time as passing out flyers would.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I had a flyer inserted in our local paper. Worked well. For 12000 flyers it was $700 and that included printing. It hit the small area that I wanted to target and didn't require me to go out and distribute flyers myself.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TooTallLawncare,

We will quite often read the difference for newspaper ads vs. flyers is with the newspaper you will get a lot more calls for estimates all over the area. Flyers will allow you to select a more specific area where you want to add customers.

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing works equal for all people.....My $55 ad in the local (very small) paper brought in 2 -5 accounts every week - Had to stop running it after 4 weeks!
    Cheaper than door hangers, no leg work, more $$$
    Door hangers / Flyers are very good for targeted areas - and that is really what you want - accounts on the same street or same small area.
    Bottom line - everyone is going to get different results....
    JUST MY 2.04 (adjust for inflation)

9. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

To add to what khutch said,

try a newspaper add, then drop flyers/doorhangers on the streets that you get responses from.

My 3 cents (Canadian dollar is WAY down)