1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JCee, Sep 13, 2005.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Ok, I walked around my town today and as a start put out about 400 flier's. I plan to do alot more but the start is here. My phone line is hooked up and I am officially taking business. I plan for this to be a part time thing for me 25-30 hrs a week as I have another full time job, and hope to start out by getting a couple accounts. I hear the return rate on flier's is about 1% so hopefully I will be getting 4 phone calls. Hey maybe I will get 2%. Anyway thanks for all the help everyone and hopefully I'll see some of you out there!! Oh yeah also check out the quick website that I made and let me know what you think. http://residentiallawncare.tripod.com Thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

How do you attach the fliers to the houses? I have been trying to find a good way of doing it. Or do you just have doorhangers? Also if it is possible could you post one of your fliers on here? Thanks!, Michael
  3. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

It is strange how my fliers have been working. I have put out about 400-500 too. I have gotten two calls and one full time weekly customers from them. One was just a one time job that gave me a $25.00 dollar tip. I too work other jobs so I am just building mowing as I ahve time. I put out at least 100 a week and the calls are both weeks after I put them out. But the more calls I get the more flyers I put out. I am going to put out flyers all day tommorw. I think it is a bad time of year for this, but it is the time of year it is, and some new customers are better than no new custormers.
  4. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thats true... I know it is definitely not the best time of the year to start but you must start somewhere. What I do as far as fliers (and like I said I just started so I'm not sure about return) is I put two flier's on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Then I cut it in half to minimize cost. I only used a basic flier (Name of buisness, services provided (obviously fall cleanup on top)... but typed in a nice font on green stock paper.
    Then I walk around a target area and depending how the mail box is determines how I attach it. By the way..my half sheet flier gets folded once more in half and it perfectly displays the business name right as it is grabbed by the homeowner. Most mailboxes around here are attached directly to the house. I slide the flier in between the mailbox in the house a tiny bit just so the biz name is visible. It actually looks pretty good.
    As far as return we will wait and see. Any other suggestions I would be interested to hear as well. Thanks
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi JCee,

If you are in need of further inspiration for building your website. Did you know we have free web templates you can download here and edit to your liking?

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates.Make your own logo Free.</center>
  6. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I just put some flyers out today and I stapled a rubber band to the top of the flyer and I hung it on mail box's, garage door handles, and door knobs seemed to work just fine. Does not look getto, just an idea.
  7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to have a website you really need to get something other then tripod.com

Goto Godaddy.com and come up with domain name and let them host it.

I was going to recommend you register your name but http://residentiallawncare.com/ is taken.

Fliers, when I started this the first time that is how we did it. cut them in half and fold them. I thought it looked nice and saved me some money.
  8. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

That rubber band idea is a good one. Yes I know tripod is no good but just starting I do not want to pay for hosting. For now I know that I will get 0 lawns by having it, it just makes me look a little more professional on the flier's (I hope). And as far as that Gopher, I cant find anything that it says it does. I downloaded it awhile ago for flier templates but couldnt find them. And now I have this crazy interbase server running on my computer all the time. Not sure I like that.... Thanks for replies
  9. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

10. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks that link is very helpful....