Flipped my mower over...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Jun 2, 2004.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

Just had a fairly scary experience on Sunday I wanted to share with you all. I was ready to begin mowing at the local fire station (I got the mowing bid this year), so I started backing off of my borrowed snowmobile trailer. I was using 2 wooden ramps. So, I start backing down and suddenly the right rear wheel leaves the right ramp and the thing tips backwards and falls to the ground almost upside down (luckily the drive lever held it on its side. Luckily, I had quick enough reactions to push out the levers bail off right as it was falling. Scared the heil out if me b/c if I hadn't of successfully bailed off I would be pinned and my legs and probably my head would have been crushed. Plus, I was alone and not in a very visible spot.

Has anybody had this happen to them before?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

long time ago, that is why I stopped usually wooden ramps, and bought a good trailer with a ramp.
  3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

No, but I have always feared flipping my z with the deck running.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I did pin myself against the front of the my trailer last year with my hydro. Scared the crap right out of me and hurt like heck. Lucky enough one of my workers was there and helped me out. SCARY!!!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How high is that snowmobile trailer? Sounds kind of strange...i always thought they were kind of low to the ground. Glad to hear you're ok though...
  6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I was dumb enough not to tilt it down. It is a snowmobile trailer frame with a wood deck, and it is about 2-3 feet off the ground.
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

get a real trailer and you won't have that problem.. Or get some bigger ramps!

Glad to hear your ok though:)
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

At my repair shop we will not let the customer load and unload there mowers by riding them on ramps. It may take everyone in the shop sometimes to unload a mower that will not run from the bed of a truck but that is better than having someone flatted. My boss just tells them straight up if they get hurt or killed by riding a mower up boards or ramps that our insurance will not cover it and they usually back off and let us do the loading.
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Want to buy my ROPS? $200?
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member