1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flipping Burgers is NO Comparison

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

It always amazes me how so many in this "profession" compare their wages to flipping burgers.

Let me see.....$7 an hour, horrible hours/schedules, working for someone else, crummy customers.....need I go on.

I have always looked at myself as a business owner who provides a service.

I strive to make a good wage. In my area most middle class incomes are about $70k to $80k a year. I don't see why I cannot expect the same or more.

Why do I have to compare myself to an entry level worker at a fast food place. At least try to compare us to the manger or something.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, it is about perception. But it isn't just about how I perceive myself, that is only half the equation. No matter how I perceive myself, even if I'm convinced that I am a million dollar / hour man, there will always be some customers who see me as whatever their mind is fabricating. Yup, even if I just got done earning $200 in the past hour, I am just as likely to run into the clown who thinks my rates run around $10 / hour, happens all the time.

When I run into the customer who thinks of Lco's as low wage earners or they act like they're better than me and I can be their slave or most anything along those lines, I am gone so fast. I don't argue or try to talk sense into those people anymore.

That you think highly of yourself, I think you should because it helps but I have learned you can not change this mindset when it's the customer's. So, if they think less of you than you think of yourself, it is probably time to leave: next! The reason falls somewhere along the lines of having a failure of agreement (sounds funny, but it's true).

This is one reason I like to joke about somedays you have to act a little bit like you're the best there ever was (well, maybe you are :rolleyes: ).
    I said a LITTLE bit :laugh:
    The flipside of the coin is a little humility never hurt anybody but I'm not so sure about lots of either LOL
  3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

so why the new thread?

flippin burgers is simply to suggest a comparison to a low paying / minimum wage job. Its the lowest common denominator....

The simple fact is very few are able to do much more then low paying menial work. You are in fact the exception rather then the rule simply because you have chosen to risk more then most.
  4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Far from true....there are many well paying jobs out there that make far more than flipping burgers.

If you wish to work for $8hr cutting lawns come on over and I have a job for you. Otherwise you are leaving money on the table.
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

WELL SAID!! I agree with you!
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might keep in mind the burger guy could work his way up in time and someday own a burger place. In our area the owners of these fast food places are pulling in some good bucks these days, we have been checking.
  7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

haha yea everyone thinks we work our ass of for $5 an hour meanwhile me and my partner made $200 for an hours work and landed 2 weekly houses taht will make us $50 in 30 minutes

i got my first gratuity on a bill i get x mas gifts but never a tip b4 even when they know we are both the owners
  8. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

People don't know.

One thing that irritates me is people getting knocked for working out of their trunk. I myslef will be working out of my trunk until I've saved enought for a truck. I don't plan on sinking several thousand in debt just so I can maintain the status quo with my peers. I will have my truck and commercial ztr in time...but not before I have the cash to put on the table. Until then I will be the one the others point and laugh at while I point back at them laughing and knowing they're making $700-$1000 monthly payments on their shiney new truck and ztr. ;) This is not meant to flame others. Just something I've observed here.
  9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Whatever you need to justify your means. I for one have NO respect for someone working out of his/her trunk. I think it lowers the perception of our profession in the eyes of the general public. But hey, its just me.
  10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TopSites some people think you are as low as the burger flipper, people with bike set ups and out of the trunk do not help the perception.

Mind you i still admire people that use a bike, trunk, golf cart buts thats just me.:)