1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flipping over removed sod???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 21, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

many years ago b4 I was in this biz, had an lco remove alot of sod and install new planting beds. Instead if hauling it all away, he flipped it over, laid it back down, then put soil and mulch on. Never saw a blade of grass after that. Any of you use this technique? any problems? nice to not have to haul that crap away and it does raise the level of the bed a bit...i hate to see beds put in flush with the surrounding turf...thanks much
  2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have only done it on my own yard. I knew that if grass came back thru, I'd just use RoundUP on it. So far, so good

PLus it helps give the bed a little more "raised" look
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having a little trouble grasping the concept of what he did, as it really makes no sense. If he was putting dirt (to raise it) and mulch over top of it, then why even cut the sod at all? The grass will die as it has no light to it anyway. There is no way for it to grow through. The only area that would have potential, would be the edges, as the top dirt is thinner there to allow some light through. But with that, even with the way he did it, there is still root eposure there that could spread out and create new growth around the edges. :confused:
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I cut the sod around the bed. I like to have a sharp edge line on the existing grass, then about 8 inches of nothing (dirt) then the mulch.

So the sod that I cut, I just used to raise the bed.
    ...and yes, the grass does continue to grow through some areas. I have plenty of mulch down, yet it grows.