Flipping Pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Team-Green L&L, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a client demand that his tumbled pavers be installed upside down for less (high heel liability). "I don't know either..." Anyway, we did and later finished the ICPI course. Now I am a little weary of that procedure.

Should I worry about failure simply because of the flipping of the paver and the beveled side being down?

deck and patio before.jpg

deck and patio after.jpg

deck and patio after 2.jpg

2. Team-Green L&L

I did ask this question at the ICPI course and was told that the beveled edge's purpose was to prevent the edges from crumbling. Are there any more functions of that bevel that I should be aware of?

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Why didn't he just get non-tumbled pavers? Probably would have been cheaper, and would have saved him paying you to flip it all.

The beveled edge certainly helps from breaking/cracking off edges, but it is mostly asthetic.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the pavers CAN be flipped.

Not-a big deal!

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

opps

wrong thread

6. Team-Green L&L

This was one of our earlier jobs, before we knew how to present a paver proposal, so we simply suggested tumbled due to the 1910 architecture of the home. He quickly glanced at the paver sample and said "that's fine. Do that..."

Needless to say, once we had already started laying, he comes up with this (high-heel) liability stuff. The craziest thing is that he's a man without a wife. Either he's the world's best risk analyst or simply crazy!

7. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

simply crazy

8. ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC.

ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC. LawnSite Member

Team green, would you say the icpi class is worth it. I just signed up, with little experience dealing with pavers. However i would like to get into it.

9. Team-Green L&L

We did very little paver work until last year and found ourselves beating our margins into the ground with return visits. I am 150% confident now in my abilities to produce a paver product I can guarantee for 5 years. Again, we have been doing pavers for a couple years though.

I would recommend the course to anyone pursuing a profit from paver installation.

10. excalibur

excalibur LawnSite Member

Maybe the guy has an ...ahem... hobby. ;)