1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Float Stuck? Bad Scenerio!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeverCreekLawnCare, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BeverCreekLawnCare

BeverCreekLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from none

I have a 21" snapper push mower that has been nothing but a headache this season. I put a new needle in and it still isnt fixed. Heres what happens. I roll it off the trailer ( the gasline is clamped so gas wont drain out the air filter) Then I unclamp it, pull the rip cord and it usually freezes the first two pull. It then starts and smokes, mizes oil and gas together and idles very low. More smoke, then oil leakes out onto the deck and it slowly dies out. The weird thing is, I can go home change out the oil and get a good days use on it before it does this again. WHAT SHOULD I DO? It is a very nice mower and I would hate to have to get rid of it!
  2. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Trade it in on a Honda HRC216SXA. No problems with the one I have
  3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't have to clamp the gas line. Most likely there is trash between the needle and it's seat. You said you replaced the needle. Did you also replace it's seat? The float could also have a hole in it. You can tell by shaking the float to see if it has gas inside. I would clean the carb ,blow out the fuel inlet passage with air,replace the fuel line(sometimes it can slough off small pieces of rubber if kinked ,clamped or pulled off the barbs on the tank outlet/carb inlet). Install a good fuel filter that you can see through to cath any more trash that might be in the tank.
  4. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Could also be the oil breather on the side of the block is clogged up. It is usually a 1" X 1 1/2 (Approx) sized plate held on by a couple of screws. If this clogs up it caused a vacume in the engine oil area and can cause oil to flow into the carb. Try replacing it or clean it out.