Floating deck on a 36" ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting near the point of buying a 36" Hydro WB. Is there a major reason to get the floating deck on a 36" ? Will I notice a difference on this machine as far as scalping ? Just so you know I am looking at an Exmark TTHP 36" and Viking 36" WM and I still am considering a Great Dane Scamper 36"

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think the main reason for a floating deck is the ease of changing deck heigth. For a floating deck it's a matter of pulling and re-inserting 4 pins. For a fixed deck it a matter of getting underneath the deck, taking off the blades and adding or taking out spacers. I opt for the 36" TTHP last November.

MATT

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the floating deck on those are kind of a pain. I wouldnt consider a floating deck unless it had a 1 touch handle. I just use my deck spacers, and rearly use the spacers on the blades. IMHO

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

lawncare3-I don't know of any faster system other than the 4 pin system, and they aren't really a pain. Very fast to change heights, that's the advantage. I love my TTHP. Bought it last August as a demo. Buy an Exmark TTHP 36" you will not be dissapointed.

5. lawncare3

Scag48,
    Do u think In can buy one used? I can't really afford those new/demo 1's > now because i'm looking into a truk now and can't afford one. What time of the year are they least expensive?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

They're cheap in the off season, but I can't really compare prices. The prices here in the good 'ol Northwest are a ton more than what you guys on the Midwest pay. I Payed $4100 for a 30 HR. demo TTHP 36", which is what some of you would pay for a new one. After taxes, mulch kit, and Jungle Wheels sulky, I walked out $4800 in debt. Don't go looking for a mower for cheap in April though. :dizzy: I thought you had a 48" Snapper? Why do you need another mower?

7. lawncare3

I was looking for a 32-36" for the gated properties because I hate using the stupid 21's. They are just too much time involved but, for now I will be using them till I can afford a 32.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Screw shims and spacers! What a PITA!

The 4 pin adjustment systems are a snap to use. I have not run across another system that is faster, easier, or more practical.

The floating deck itself is a major plus on rougher terrain.

For these reasons I purchased a new Exmark TTHP 36" w/ECS (15 hp Kaw) back in the spring...and couldn't be more impressed. Well, unless you want to talk about my Lazer Z....... ;)

The TTHP is awesome!

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The deals are out there, you just have to have patientence and preseverence. I picked up my 36" TTHP for $3700 with approx 15 hours on it. The only system I have seen easier is the John Deere with a crank in the center of the deck. A few turns and your mowing heigth is an inch different. Because I live in a transition zone, I mow either fescue or bermuda, so I am constantly changing deck heigth. If you are not going to have to change the deck heigth, just go with the fixed deck and save some money.

MATT

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Floating is good but it is not a big deal changing height of cut on the fixed deck. A couple minutes, that is all..., also do you really change height every yard or day? Fixed deck is like a tank offering smooth, beautiful cut second to none, no frills besides saving $$, sticking like glue to the ground, with 36", shy of scalping , no problem.

It 's up to your preference, you have to find what you like most. 36"Wright Stander is another choice if you don't like TTHP/sulky combo, anything bigger than 36" should be a ZTR.
    Just a little info from friend...