Floating deck- One pin adjustable

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Just an idea i was kicking around with my dealer. I have a 52" wb exmark with a floating deck. Why dont they make them with the same level changer as the ones on the Lazers. One pin sets the height for all at once. You would even have more cuttiong heights available.

My dealer wants to put a foot assist on it as well so we can be even lazier. What do you ya'll think?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

One more step closer to pleasing the pain in the arse customers that want they're lawn at 1/2" tall and that other old lady that wants hers at 6" every week!! I think it would make it easier to satisfy your customers needs. I laughed at a lot of people before, because they would actually get out and change their blade spacers at certain accounts insteadof asking the customer to comply and explaining to them what a pain it is do adjust the blades just for their house.

Mowers have come a long way in just a few years!

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The one thing that many contractors forget, is that people hire us to do a job. It is up to us to stay educated so we can advise our clients as to hat is best for their properties.

I did just as Dave said years ago. We would change the spacers for this account and that account as often as needed to maintain the properties. The more that I gained in knowledge the more I was able to relay whats best for our clients. People think they are paying us to do a job because they dont want to cut the lawn. They dont tell other service professionals how to do their job, so I dont let them tell me how to do mine. Its quite simple - they like our service or they dont.

I make it known that people are hiring me for my expertise. This is how we run our business, these are our peramiters, and this is why. They can then decide if they would like us to cater to their properties. We do have a SET standard for cutting heighths and they are NOT negotiable if commercial cutting equipment is to be used. The other option they have is $75/hr for 21" mowers with a $50 minimum. Considering it would take about an hour with 2 man crews I dont think they are not willing to negotiate on cutting heights so they can pay $150 a week.

Wish they would.
    Kris

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I had a JD with a crank on the deck so you could raise or lower the deck anywhere in its range you wanted, not just 1/2 inch increments. Worked well trying to blend area done the day before and you had to stop for rain or something.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have fixed deck w/b's. I set it at 3 1/4" and leave it. It would be a pain to keep changing spacers all day. I tell customers up front the height I cut at and most seem ok with it. Then there are always one or two that will grumble about it. I'm sorry but I stick to my guns on this one. I have found that the one's who want their yard cut real low are usually the same one's who you can tell didn't ever take care of their yard to begin with. You know, the guy that you drive by and see him cutting when the grass is about a foot tall and his mower is stalling out because he waited too long to mow and thinks the lower I cut the less I'll have to cut.LOL