1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Floating deck or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Nov 10, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have picked up serveral large accounts for next year and i am now in need of a 36" WB. Is it necessary to have a floating deck on a 36? or will the fixed do just as good of job. Right now i have a Snapper 48" with the floating deck. I am strongly considering a Gravely Pro H. What do you all think of these. I demoed one today and liked it very much. How do they compare to Exmark? I seem to like it [gravely] much better than my snapper which i have had good luck with but it is time for a change. What do ya'll think??
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Joplin, i had an Exmark 36" WB, belt drive with the floating deck. I paid $3500. I did not like it because i could not do a zero turn. Had i purchased a Hydro, it would have cost me another $1,000.

Other than the zero turn issue, i really liked it. it was very solid.

If the yards are flat, i'd not buy a floating deck. The only time i'd buy it if the customers want to cut their grass different height.

BTW, i interviewed for a job in Joplin 4 years ago....with the company that makes Roof Shingles....forgot the name. I really liked the town. It was small and very "homy".
  3. PLM-1

Tamko? That is prolly it. The owner of that company and the CEO are my parents neighors. (next year i will mow all the tamko properties!)
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, that's the one. I forgot the name. I was actually going to work for their plant in Jacksonville, Fl. but i was sick and tired of the weather in Florida.

Anyway, since you are going to get bigger accounts next year, why dont you get some zero turn riders? Why WB's? As far as i remember, everything is flat in Joplin.
  5. PLM-1

the areas that i am buying a 36" are for fenced areas and some really narrow hilly type areas between flower beds and walkways. I have a grasshopper and a 48" wb and i am seriously considering getting another gh.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

If I had the option....I would always choose the floating deck over the fixed deck!!! Even a 36" fixed will scalp eventually....
  7. PLM-1

I know everyone has an opinion. Lets hear them!
  8. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Floating deck and hydro here. Not only do you get the benefits of a floating deck but you can change the cut height quickly. The hydro is also a great option. Because of the maneuverability to get in and out of tight areas quickly. Floating deck and hydro is an expensive feature. But, well worth it. Time = money. My 2 cents.
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Fixxed deck. The 36 floating deck is a foot longer than the fixxed deck. For me that would mean a new trailer and some spots it just would not fit. Never have had a problem with scalping on 36. Save the grand and put it towards a hydro. JMO

10. PLM-1

For everyones information: I am getting a hydro. Just not sure if i should get the floating deck or not. The gravely dealer said that there really isn't any need for it on a 36". I dont' know if he is sayitng this because Gravely doesn't make a 36 float or if he is serious.