1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Floating deck problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hobbes, Jun 18, 2001.

1. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Anyone have problems with their floating deck catching and holding high up the height adjuster bars in the front when going fast over bumby terrain. I had this happen twice today, first time didn't notice 'till lawn was cut & had to reset the deck and cut again. Tried lube on bars but same thing happened again. Only happens at high speeds on bumpy turf. Any solutions?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Try going slower. This is one thing I do not like about floating decks, just more to wear out faster. I have a floating deck, but it hasn't mowed grass in a long time.
  3. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

they are hasselsome and too many parts wear out - glad im rid of mine:)
  4. Alan

Alan Member

You guys are lucky to be in an area where it's flat enough that floating decks can be optional. Around here I would not want to cut without them. WAY too much rolling (putting it mildly) terrain to do good work with a fixed deck/grader blade.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Hobbes, what kind of mower are you using that is doing that?
  6. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Exmark 36 TTHP.
    Floating is essential on most props here.
  7. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

I had trouble with the deck coming up and knocking off the belt. I installed clevis pins on all of the bars 2 holes below the one i use and that corrected my problem.
  8. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Thanx Gam.
    I'll try that.
  9. linky

linky LawnSite Member

You could try placing valve springs (like v-8 springs) on the adjustment shaft between the frame and deck. It may work if the deck is sticking when it gets pushed up high. On my toro the adjustment rods loose and will wobble, if yours are real tight that may be the problem. Just a few thoughts i hope it helps.
  10. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

if your mowing with a fixed deck especialy on slopes then you need more practice on them - for added safety you might want to remove spacers and raise your blades further into the housing if it is a problem. fixed decks are great if operated correctly.