floating deck scampers?

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by brucec32, Mar 9, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome aboard Great Dane. My first question is...

Why don't you make a floating deck version of the scamper? I switch mowing heights alot and handle rolling terrain (new homes here are all built on dog lots). I'd think that there'd be a bigger market for that than the 52" gateway mower, which btw looks like it could gouge a wheelbarrow load full of turf off if you turn left into a rise.
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a gateway for two full seasons. I don't have a scalping problem on the left side. I mow at 3.5 inches most of the season. Don't get me wrong, any mower will scalp if you approach an area wrong.
    I am glad to see larger engine options now. The 17 does fine most of the time. I use a pro slide.
    The larger Kohler engine would be a plus.
  3. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Brucec32 : We have many happy users of our 52-inch Gateway. The unit was specifically designed for certain applications such as cutting along retention ponds and in gated properties. In some states (such as Long Island, NY) many landscapers are doing away with trailers. The 52-inch Gateway fits nicely in the back of a pick-up or even in a large van. The Gateway was a very expensive machine to design due to the very complex cutter deck. To convert the deck to a suspended version for quick height changes would have only added many more parts and also additional design and manufacturing dollars to the machine which, in return would have priced the unit way out of the market.

Thank you

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

To clarify, I wasn't knocking the gateway, I was just curious why the Scamper doesn't have a floating deck version. The super surfer has one, I figured it could use some of the same engineering technology. I can imagine a floating gateway would be an engineering nightmare, though the new Hustler tilting deck mower is supposed to float, from what I hear, with a different approach to the gate problem.

I also just thought that a mainstream floating deck wb would sell more units than a speciality mower for gated areas.