Floating Deck vs. Fixed Deck on WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liendeni, May 14, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Is the floating deck and hydro's worth the extra money in a WB over the Fixed Deck and Belt Drive. Just got back from the Toro Dealer to look at the 36 inch Floating Deck with Hydro's and T-Bar - $5,600. And no, I am not thinking about dropping that kind of cash on a new one at that price. I'll hunt down a used one but would like some opinions. Thanks!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You could save a lot by going to the new Snapper with floating deck....or you could go with the belt drive Toro and floating deck. I do like floating decks but we change deck height 5 -6 times a day.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

on a 36" a fixed deck works fine for me. i just sold my 36" toro belt drive and never had a problem. if its gonna be your primary mower then go w/ hydro, but if its for backyards and when you're in a bind...belt drive is fine. my belt drive pulled a 200+ lb guy w/ no problem too.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

36" hydro YES floating deck NO

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

he beat me to it. hydro 100% worth the extra cash. Look around and you should be able to find a good used one. I picked up a TTHP 36/17 last year for $2500. Prefer the fixed over the floating deck anyday....

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Around here you have to change cutting heights alot. One yard fescue, one bermuda, another has both. I call a floating deck the one that I can change deck height easily without spacers and all of that. If you have to change heights very often, go with the floating.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have em both and floating iz my pick,the fixed leaves a little better stripe,and iz lighter, but i change heights and the floating iz easy to raise.........

8. gravedigger5

I say hydro because You never know what all you might want to throw at it. Mine can run a bagger, dethather, flex deck, and bullrider velke. try doing that with a belt drive.
    Dethatcher-Bagger 007.jpg

Dethatcher-Bagger 007.jpg

9. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Gravedigger, where did you get that dethather from....and how wide is it?

I found an almost new (less than 200 hours) 36 in. Toro with Hydros and Floating deck for about 3K less than the dealer wanted for a new one...plus its coming with a new $560 Tru Trak Sulky. Think I am going to go with this one. I just need it for some back yards and a few smaller front yards that seems to be overkill with my ZTR.

Thanks for the input....much appreciated.

10. gravedigger5

JRCO Inc. I think it is 48"
    http://www.jrcoinc.com