Floating Deck vs Fixed Deck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pranshaw, Mar 24, 2007.

1. pranshaw

pranshaw LawnSite Member

I am thinking about (have been for quite some time now) starting a lawn care business on the side and eventually going full time. I'm stuck in an office right now and it's killing my because I have always enjoyed working outside.

I was looking at a Toro's walk-behind mowers. Preferably 36 - 40" deck. I'd like to hear opinions on the fixed deck vs the floating deck.

I figure if things don't work out full time I'll have a mower for the house I'll never need to replace. Thanks for the input....Pete

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Pete,
    There is a large price jump to the floating deck model. It defiantly has its pros; you will scalp (blades hit turf/soil) less and should deliver a better cut. I personally don't feel that you need to put money into a floating deck unless you are looking at a mower over 48". My Exmark 48 and 36 walk behinds cut great and leave nice stripes. I might recommend looking into a fixed deck 44 or 48 and use the money you saved to get a 21 to get into those gated areas. 48 will give you nicer stripes and cut down on time. Also, the cost difference is only 50-100$ (36 to 48).
    chris

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

No point in floating unless its a 52" ++ deck. The mower isn't heavy enough and the deck will bouce giving a lousy cut, not to mention you won't even really scalp with a 48 inch fixed deck. Personally anything under 48" for me is automatically a fixed deck, anything over 48 I get a rider.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you mow in situations where you have to change the deck height you might want to consider floating deck. As far a cut....we have all floating decks and they do just fine in urban area. Don't know how they do in mowing big fields.

5. mbaker422

mbaker422 LawnSite Member

Lot's of guys using Toro's in the Tyler area. Must mean there is some good customer support around here. I work for the fire dept here in Tyler, but I live and do all of my mowing in the Longview area. Scag is big over there. Good luck getting started.

6. pranshaw

pranshaw LawnSite Member

Thanks....that's exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for. I don't think I'm going to worry about getting the floating deck for such a small mower. I'll pobably go with the 40" fixed. Next step up will probably be a rider although some of the big walk behinds look pretty sharp too. The Zero Turners just look like more fun....I've never run one.
    Thanks,
    Pete

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

For us a floating deck is a must due to the height adjustments needed within the same day....usually just once or twice one day and I don't believe its as easy as pulling four pins and replacing them in a fixed deck. I know you can change height slightly with the spacers on the front casters but I would like it would effect quality of cut due to the angle of cut now.