Floating deck vs fixed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EOS, Jan 15, 2008.

1. EOS

EOS LawnSite Member

What do you guys prefer floating or fixed deck, looking to buy new mower just trying to figuare out if the price of the floating deck is worth it?

2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

I Have All Floating Decks From 61" Down To 48" I Have Never Had Anything Else , I Never Liked The Looks Of The Other Ones No Give At All . Two Are 61" One Is 52" And One Is 48" Good Luck On Your Hunt .

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had both liked the way floating deck changed deck heights as far as cutting no difference. never had a problem with scalping on either one my vote is for fixed.

4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

floating decks are good for if you hit something it dosent hurt anything the deck has a little movement

5. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

36" deck, you don't really need the floating deck. A 48" and larger, it may prevent scalping if your yards are rough.

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

A floating deck will prevent heavy damage if you hit hard on something.
    I like the concept better than a fixed deck, especially on a heavy mower.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

After going thru deck height changes with a couple Scags with fixed decks we won't ever ever get anything but floating decks. New rapid height lever on Stander has now set the new standard.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Main reason guys dont like fixed decks around here is because we change deck height so much. One yard will have tall fescue and the next one bermuda....some yards will have both. Fixed decks arent made to change height alot.

9. Xtreme Lawns by Roger Inc

Xtreme Lawns by Roger Inc LawnSite Member

I agree just got a new bad boy love the mower and this thing has electric deck adjustment that is the new standard! forget about fixed decks they are good for acreage cutting flat stuff floaters are the norm for all around lawn guys !!!

10. VMS

VMS LawnSite Member

worth the extra bc less scalping and quicker height adjustments on deck.