floating deck walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScCo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully I can word this question in a manner that makes some form of sense.

Do the decks on floating deck walk behinds function more similarly to front mount riders or mid mount riders?

Do they follow contours of the ground as well as a front mount?

Or, are the more like a midmount in that they are more prone to scalp when going over high spots, uneven terrain, or topping a hill?

Or third, does nothing I asked make any sense and do I need to try to better word the questions?

Thanks

ScCo

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think more mid mount.
    John

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i will say mid mount also.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

What about he walker w/b? It seems to be on the same set up as on the rider.

5. ScCo

hmmm....

looks like the only answer for the cutting heights some of my customers want is going to be a front deck mower. Gotta love warm season grasses on rough, uneven yards.

but, with as tiresome as using the foot pedal constantly on the super z gets, looks like I may have to give in and buy an out front machine.

Yes, before anyone asks, it would be easier to raise the cutting height, but that isn't an option with the majority of these customers.

What really sucks is, the walker dealer in my area is TERRIBLE, and the only other choice I have for out fronts is grasshopper which I've had a lot of bad luck with in the past.

Is scag still making the cougar?

Thanks for the input,

ScCo

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

More like a mid mount but the whels are closer to the deck so a WB should have less scalping .

7. ScCo

I guess the best way to find out if the walk behinds would do the trick is the old faithful method of demoing... :)

one way or another I have to come up with an easier way of getting the shorter cut heights done faster and better than they are working out with the super z.

Don't misunderstand where I'm going with this and this that I'm knocking the super z because I'm not; it is an awesome machine. But one neighborhood in particular, where I do a big chunk of my business is really tough on me as all the yards are bermuda or zoysia, and all the property owners insist on fairly low cutting heights....considering how rough the ground is, the cutting heights are probably what most would consider insanely low.

I generally never take my foot off of the deck lift as I'm using it throughout each pass to keep from scalping. I just gets to be a very tiresome process over a 12 hour day, and I'd like to find an easier way to get better results.

thanks for your time and input,

ScCo

8. ScCo

here's one of the zoysia yards cut at 2"

zoysia2.jpg

9. ScCo

the corner where these pictures were taken looks like it has a lot of thin spots in these pictures for some reason. The pics were taken with my cheesy camera phone though, so I don't guess I should expect too great of quality.

also, you can kinda tell how less than perfect the terrain is by how terribly crooked some of the stripes are. It's almost embarassing to know that people will be able to see these....oh well.

zoysia1.jpg